Chapter 9

Avery's Pov:

Today was the tournament and Daniel was a nervous wreck. He was scared he was going to forget everything he'd learned. "What belt is he?" the receptionist asked. ''Boy black belt.'' Mr. Miyagi said. Daniel looked at me with wide eyes. I squeezed his hand. "You better hustle, they're starting.'' he said, "Down the hall, and to your left." I kissed his cheek, "I'll see you inside.''

I went to follow him but Mr. Miyagai grabbed my wrist. "Uh excuse me, Mi-ya-gi." he said pretending to correct him. He pulled a black belt out of the mans bag and handed it to me. "Oh okay, thank you.'' the receptionist said, fixing it.

We waited for Daniel to come out of the locker room. "Hey Mr. Miyagi!'' Daniel said coming out of the locker rooms. "Ah Daniel-san hurry up. Come. Tournament starting." Mr. Miyagi said. I quickly tied the belt around Daniels waist. "When did we get this?'' he questioned. "Daniel LaRusso, please report to ring three." someone said over the intercom. "Hey where's ring three?''Daniel asked. "Over there." Mr. Miyagi said pointing. "Hey hold it, hold it." a ref said, "Only teachers and students on the competition floor, I'm sorry."

"Oh well, he doesn't speak English, and I can't understand his instruction without her. She's his translator." Daniel said. Mr. Miyagi went on to say something in Japanese. "What'd he say?'' the ref asked. "He says you remind him of an uncle he has back in Tokyo." I said. "Oh well, I guess it's okay." the ref said. Mr. Miyagi said something in Japanese again. "What?" "Oh, he says your very kind." "Thank you." "Welcome.''

We headed over to the mats. "Alright what are the rules here?" Daniel asked. "Don't know. First time you, first time me." "Well I figured you knew about this stuff. I figured you went to these before. Oh great I'm dead." Daniel said, "You told me you fought a lot." "Ah for life, not for points."

"Daniel look, everything above your waist is a point. You can hit the head, you can hit the sternum, kidneys, and the ribs." I explained, "You got it?" "Hope so." I could tell he was more nervous than ever. "Hey look at me." I said placing a hand on his cheek, "You can do this okay? I know you can."

He gave me a half smile. "Look I'll be here the whole time. And Ali, your mom, and Eleaina are over there." I said and smiled, "Now you go out there and give it your all. I love you." I kissed his cheek. "I love you too." he said, before walking over to the mat.

Daniel and his opponent lined up on their lines. They bowed at the ref then at each other. The ref yelled "Fight." and the match begone. Daniel's opponent kicked him in the arm, resulting in Daniel going off the mat. They got on their lines again and this time his opponent lunged at him and Daniel ran off the mat. "Daniel-san remember you defense. Points come. Concentrate, focus hard. Remember balance." Mr. Miyagai said to Daniel.

Daniel got back on his line and looked back at me. "You got this Daniel!" I said. This time when his opponent came at him Daniel kicked him in the stomach. The crowed cheered. "You can do it baby! One more!" I yelled. He smiled at me and got back on his line. I could tell he was gaining confidence When Daniel's opponent came at him Daniel hit him in the back, winning the first match.

The crowed erupted into cheers. "I knew you could do it!" I cheered loudly.

***

Daniel was now in top 4. I was extremely proud of him for making it this far. I was standing next to the bleachers, when Johnny came over to me. "What do you want?'' I asked bitterly. "Look I do't want to cause any problems." he said. "Then why are you over here?'' "Bobby's gonna put him out of commission." he said. "Your lying." I said. I knew Cobra Kai was all about "no mercy" but I didn't know they'd go that far. "I'm not lying, look you if you don't believe anything I say, believe that I'm telling the truth about this. Kreese told Bobby to put him out of commission straight to me and Bobby's face." I stayed quiet, I didn't want to believe it.

"Fine believe me or not. I was just trying to be the better person. he said and started walking away. "Johnny..." I said and he turned around, "...Thank you." He nodded an walked away. I ran over to Mr. Miyagai but a ref stopped me. "Only students and teachers on the mat, sorry miss." he said. "No you don't understand-" I started but Daniel's cry in pain cut me off.

I ran over to him and dropped down next to him. "Daniel? Daniel sweetheart are you okay?" I asked. "It hurts!" he said holding his leg. Two refs and a medic ran over. They carried him into the locker rooms. Eleaina, Lucille and Ali ran over to me. "He's gonna be okay, Ave." Ali said putting her arm round my shoulders. "I really hope so." I whispered.