Chapter 3

Avery's Pov:

September 12th, the day I was born. Today was my 17th birthday. "Happy birthday!" Eleaina said. "Thanks El." I said. She placed a plate of waffles in front of me. "Oh c'mon cheer up." she said sitting across from me, "Big 17! How do you feel?" "You know, I feel older, like an adult. I just have this sudden urge  to be more mature and responsible." I joked. She laughed and took a bite of her waffle.

"Look I know todays hard for you but try to be happy. It's not every day you turn 17." she said. I smiled a half smile. "Well I better get going. Don't want to be late." I said, grabbing my things. "Have a great day. I love you."

"Love you too." I said and walked out. When I got to school I saw Daniel and Ali talking. "Hey guys." I said. "Hey birthday girl!" Ali said with a smile. Ali and I started hanging out a lot. She was real nice and fun to hang out with. "Happy birthday!" Daniel said.

"Thanks guys." We began walking to class. "So what are your plans?" Daniel asked. "Nothing really. I was just gonna hang out at home." I responded.

I didn't really celebrate my birthday anymore, not since momma and daddy died. They died 2 days before my 13th birthday. My birthday was just a reminder that they died.

"No way! It's not everyday you turn 17. You gotta celebrate it." Ali said, "You know what, the three of us are going out tonight and I'm not taking no for an answer." I sighed, "Ali that's very sweet, but you don't need to do that." "C'mon Ave! It'll be fun!" Daniel said.

I thought for a moment. "Oh alright." I said. "Yay!" they exclaimed. Suddenly the bell rang. "Better get to class. Detention wouldn't be a good way to spend your birthday." Daniel said and we all laughed.

***

I was sitting on the couch reading my favorite book "The Outsiders" (A/N: Y'all know I couldn't resist.) Suddenly I heard a knock at the door. I opened the door and saw Daniel and Ali standing there. "Hey guys." I smiled. "You ready for some fun?" Daniel asked. "Hell yeah! Just let me grab something." I said.

I walked into my room, looking for a jacket when I heard Daniel say, "I didn't know you were and Outsiders fan." "Yeah, it's my favorite book." I said walking back into the living room, "I basically have the whole thing memorized." "Really?" he asked, flipping to the first page, "Prove it."

"When I stepped into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house I only had 2 things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home." I resisted, "I was wishing I looked like Paul Newman. He looks tough and I don't, but I guess my own looks aren't so bad. I have lightbrown-"

"Okay! Okay! I get it!" Daniel said. Ali and I laughed. "Do I detect jealousy Daniel?" Ali asked. "What? No!" he said, and I cocked an eyebrow. "Well we better get going or we'll be late." Ali said. "Late? Where are we going?" I question. "You'll see!" Daniel said, running down the stairs.

We pulled up to the theater and walked inside. I saw a poster for "The Outsiders." I'd always wanted to see it but I never really have time to. "So what movie are we watching?" I asked. "Eleaine told me that you always wanted to see The Outsiders, so..." Daniel said.

"No way!" I said excitedly. "Yes we're going to see it." Ali said. "Oh my god!" I couldn't even get words out I was so excited.

***

We walked out of the theater and to the car. "That was alsome!" I said. "It was pretty good." Ali said. "Okay now I see why you like it so much." Daniel said, "It was really good."

"I know, its just as good as the book." I said. "Well the nights not over yet." Ali said. We drove to the arcade and had the time of our lives playing games and joking around.

"Thank you guys so much." I said walking up to my apartment, "This was the most fun I've had in a long time." "Well that's what friends are for." Ali smiled, and hugged me. I smiled back and pulled away. "See you  guys tomorrow." Ali said before walking away. "Bye Ali!" Daniel called after her.

I stepped into my apartment and Daniel followed. We both sat on the couch. My eyes started to fill with tears. "Hey Ave, what's wrong?" Daniel asked. "I'm sorry, it's just...I haven't really celebrated my birthday since my parents died. They....they died 3 days before my 13th birthday and it kinda hurt to celebrate my birthday, because it reminded me of how they pasted." I explained, while wiping away the tears.

"I'm so sorry Ave." he said hugging me tight. I hate to admit it but I was blushing like crazy. "Well there's still one more suprise." he said. "What is it?" I asked. "Follow me and you'll see." he smirked. He got up and I followed him to the kitchen. There on the table was a cake.

"My mother made it." he said. "It looks amazing." I said. "Hopefully it's as good as it looks." he said cutting it and handing me a piece. We both took a bite and my eyes lit up. "That's really good." I said. "It sure is."

Daniel and I spent the rest of the night talking, joking around, eating cake, and just having fun. It felt good to have fun like this. I wished it would never end.

-------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Y'all know I couldn't resist putting the outsiders in here. Also ignore the fact that Johnny and Daniel are both technically the same person. Just ignore it okay? I know it's really cring but trust me it's much better than my original writing. Also when Avery's reciting the first page I did that off memory. That's how bad it is. Anyways the next chapter is gonna have a time jump, so yeah. Love you! Byeeeee!