Chapter 1

Avery's Pov:

I was about to walk out the gate, when it suddenly flung open, knocking me backwards. "Ow!" I exclaimed. "I'm sorry! I didn't see you there! I'm so sorry!" a boy said, running to my side. "No, no, you're fine." I said.

He reached his arm out and I took it. He pulled me up and I dusted myself off. "You're the new kid in apartment 20 right?" I asked. He nodded and I smiled. "Avery Stamp, apartment 19." I said holding my hand out.

He shook it and smiled, "Daniel LaRusso." "That was a pretty good kick." I said, "You do karate?" "Something like that." he said.

We started walking to our apartments. "So where you from?" I asked. "New Jersey." he said. "And why'd you decide to move here?" I asked. "My mom got a new job." he answered.

He parked his bike and walked into the apartment, motioning for me to follow. "Hey ma, this is Avery. Apartment 19." he said.

"Hello! It's nice to meet you." she said enthusiastically, "I believe I met your mother earlier. I believe her name was Eleaina." "Sister actually. My uh...my mother died a couple years back." I said. "Oh dear, I'm so sorry for your loss." she said.

"It's okay." I said, "You have a lovely home Mrs. LaRusso." "Oh please call me Lucille." she said. I smiled, then Daniel yelled. I looked over and saw the facet water going everywhere. I ran over to help him shut it off. After a bit of struggle we finally got it off.

By the end Daniel was soaked. I burst out laughing at the sight. "I'll call the maintenance guy and have him come fix it." Lucille said. "Oh I know where he is. I'll go tell him." I offered.

"Are you sure? I don't to make you have to do things for us." she said. "It's no big deal. I was actually gonna head down there in a minute anyways." I said. "Thank you so much." she said. "No sweat." I said, and started to walk out, "Oh and Daniel we're having a party on the beach tomorrow, if you wanna come." "Sure I'll be there." he said. "See ya around." I said and walked out of the apartment.

I walked down to Mr. Miyagi's workshop. Mr. Miyagi was an old family friend. I'd known him for as long as I can remember. He took my mother in when she came here from Okanwia, when she was a teen. He taught me how to take care of a bonsai tree and he even taught me karate for self defense.

"Hey Mr. Miyagi, the new people in apartment 20 need their facet fixed. When you get a chance can you fix it for them? " I asked. "Hai."

I walked over and saw him working on a bonsai tree. I picked up some sissors and got to work on one. "How is sister?" he asked. "She's good. She's tired from working and studying all the time, but she's determined to become a nurse so she's working extra hard."

My sister Eleaina wanted to be a nurse and was studying and going to college while also having a job to pay bills. She worked really hard and I was proud of her.

"Ah, hard work good." he said.

***

I was sitting on my towel watching the boys play soccer, when I noticed Daniel staring. I was sitting with a group of girls from school. I wasn't really friends with anyone at school but they were nice and invited me over.

He smiled at the girl next to me. Her name was Ali. She was the one that invited me to join them. I'd hung out with her a couple times in school. He then looked at me and smiled bigger. I smiled and waved to him.

"Someone has a crush on you." Ali said nudging my shoulder. "What!? No he doesn't." I said. "M'kay."

Later we were cooking hot dogs, and I noticed Ali looking at us. "Hey Daniel she's staring at you." Freddy one of my neighbors said. "Really?" "Go make a move." Freddy said. "Oh no! I can't do that." Daniel said. "Freddy maybe he ain't got moves where he comes from." another boy said.

"Hey I got moves where I come from!" Daniel said. "Prove it." the boy said and kicked the ball over to the girl. The boys began cheering him on. "I'm going. I'm going." Daniel said.

I watched as he walked over to Ali. My heart hurt as I watched them talk. They were messing around and having fun. I don't know why but it hurt.

Suddenly I heard the sound of a motercycle. "Shit." I muttered. "Avery can we talk?" Johnny asked. I just ignored him, and went to walk away. He grabbed my wrist. "Come on Avery!" "Let me go!" I damanded.

I tried to get free but his grasp was strong. "Hey let her go!" Daniel said. "Stay outta this." Johnny said. Daniel lunged at Johnny, but Johnny was quick and moved. Daniel fell and get kicked.

"Johnny stop!" Ali said, pushing him. Johnny pushed her back, causing her to stumble back almost falling. I pushed Johnny hard. "And you wonder why I stopped hanging out with you." I said angrily. He slapped me and I stood shocked for a moment.

I punched him in the face, than kicked him in the ribs. He stared at me for a moment before getting on his motorcycle and driving off. Everyone began leaving. Ali walked over to me, "I just wanted to thank you for sticking up for me." "No problem." I said, with a half smile. She smiled back and walked off.

I walked over to Daniel and bent down next to him. "Daniel?" I asked. "Leave me alone." he said. "Please let me help you." I pleaded. "Just leave me alone." I sighed, "I'll see you tomorrow." I took one more look at him before walking away.

-------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Aye! I like it! This is actually way longer than what I have in my draft. I knew my plan would work! But what do you think? I actually really like. I truely do. Anyways, love you!