20

Omniscient

"Daddy!" 6 year old Solei screamed in her purple bathing suit as they walked from the community pool. "That was so much fun, Jah you saw me trying to swim!"

"Yea i saw you finna drown"  says Jah laughing.

"Now don't do that" Solei's mother chimes in.

"It's ok jah just mad he'll never be as good as me" she says placing her hip.

"You wan' be a swimmer when you grow up?" Solei's father ask with his strong New Orleans accent.

"No daddy!" She laughs as if it's the most silliest question

"What you wan-" he stops seeing a blacked out car driving ahead slowly. He watched it fully alert. The creeping silence and death stare of her father worried her mother and brother.

"Solei get on this side" he says sternly.

"Uhh ok..." she says oblivious to what is happening.

The car approached closer and closer, the feeling of impending doom wavering over her father. He holds onto the Glock on his waist. "When i say run i want you to take the kids and  run as fast as you can. And dont look back." Her father says to her mother.

Her mother grips the sweaty palms of her brother's and Solei's "whatever happens I lov- run.

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Before Solei knew it the three of them ran and the words of her father seemed vague because she looked back anyways. And when she saw his empty body lying on the bloody pavement she couldnt understand why her 6 year old heart felt so much pain.

Solei's mother finally arrived home at 8 in the morning. "Ma, are we-"

"I dont wanna hear nothin right now to be honest."

"Wait but it's the day.. you know the day dad died. It's been 9 years aren't we gonna celebrate , it's been five years since we did... and we dont have to celebrate right now we got the whole rest of the day."

"You and your brother can, im goin to bed i gotta go to work later" she says with a bit of a slur, had she been drinking? Solei thought to herself.

"Dont you think-"

"Why do you always have something smart to say?"

"Huh?" Solei replies

"You see, that attitude right there nobody is gonna put up with that"

Solei inhales deeply and exhale, "you know what your tired" Solei says, "let me walk you to your room"

"Do it look like i cant on my own!?"

"Ma..." Solei sighs, "Jah sleep"

"Just leave me be" her mother replies.

Solei just gave up and walked away...

"Wait... did yall eat?" She ask as Solei was getting near her room.

"Yea Jah cooked for us"

"Jah where you been" Solei says as she does the dishes and Jah walks in.

"Minding my business and last time i checked I was the older brother, your seventeen "

"Well ive been calling and you haven't answered all day"

"I been with my boys stop trippin bruh, " he says looking around the kitchen. "You aint make nun?"

"No ive been busy."