T H I R T Y - E I G H T

NOVA 

The wait was the worst part of this whole ordeal for someone like me, a neurotic and impatient over-analyzer, because not only did I feel helpless in this situation but I also felt incompetent. 

Incompetent as an Heir and a friend. 

Amethyst was keeping Atlas in a magik induced coma to keep his brain from swelling too much and because of that, we aren't able to wake him up until he hits at least ten days of healing. 

It's only been three days.

Kassian has been quieter than normal, more subdued than I've ever seen him before, and definitely more contemplative about the situation as a whole.  

And don't even get me started on Nix. 

Because while he did check in on us here and there, like he said he would, those messages were despondent, vague, and very unPhoenix like of him. 

"That should be enough Healing for today" Amethyst said, interrupting my thoughts, those violet eyes of hers fading back to brown as she pulled back her Magik from Atlas "Sometimes too much healing could do more harm than good." 

"How so?"

"If you use Magik too frequently on the same person, within a consecutive timeframe, it could alter the genetic make-up of that person." 

My eyes widened "How?" 

"I've never experienced it personally" she said with a shrug "I just know that when I was still in my Coven, our elders told us to be careful about who and how often we healed someone." 

"So does that mean that all Witches can Heal?" I asked after the conversation lulled for a second.

I mean, might as well make the most out of this situation and learn something since we'll be stuck down here for another week at least. 

She sat back on her chair and smiled at me "Are you really curious or are you just trying to pass the time?" 

"I'm genuinely curious" I said, cocking my head at her words "As you know, I didn't grow up here so I don't know anything about any faction, let alone the Witches." 

"Then how about we play a little game?" she smiled "A question for question. I'll ask one and then you ask, and so on and so forth." 

I looked at her wearily "What if I don't want to answer one?" 

"Then the game stops" she reached forward and squeezed my hand once before letting go "This will be fun. I promise I won't ask anything that makes you uncomfortable. That's not the point of the game." 

"Okay" I nodded "Let's play." 

"Excellent!" She clapped excitedly, her brown eyes sparkling in delight "First question. How has your experience been at Crescent Academy?"