T H I R T Y

NOVA 

The wind was knocked out of me for the fifth time today, forcing a wheeze from both of my  lungs. 

A familiar silhouette filled my vision, temporarily blocking the sun's rays from my vision, as Charlie's worried came into view. 

"I'm so sorry" he winced, holding out his hand to me "I shouldn't have hit you that hard." 

I took his hand, shaking my head in frustration as I stood up "I should have been able to block it." 

"You can't block something you can't see" he shot me a sympathetic look "It takes a while to get adjusted to our reflexes." 

"I've been here for two and a half months" I muttered "How much longer do I need?" 

"Rome wasn't built in a day so it'll take time" Charlie shot me a sympathetic look "You have to remember that we grew up learning the basics since elementary school." 

"I don't have time to spare" I groaned "The longer I can't defend myself, the bigger of a target I'll be. I can practically feel Saoirse plotting my death as we speak."

"You can't rush these things no matter how hard you want it too" he said softly "Because if you do, it'll leave more room for injury." 

"What's the difference then?" I snorted, getting into position the Coach taught us at the beginning of last class "Because, either way, I'm getting my ass handed to me. I swear I have bruises over my entire body and sore muscles I didn't even think could get sore."

Charlie winced and I felt bad, not wanting him to think that he was the cause of all my physical and emotional anguish.

"Don't even blame yourself Charls" I warned him "You're just doing what the Coach wants us to do."

"How can I not blame myself?" He positioned himself in a way where I knew he was waiting for me to strike "I'm the one who gave you those bruises."

Technically, he was right considering that Coach always paired us up together. 

Something I was secretly grateful for considering some of the looks I got from a few others, particularly from those in the Fowl Pack, in the class. 

He suddenly looked sick as his arms dropped to the side "Oh god, the Penta's gonna kill me."

"What?!" My own eyes widened "Why?"

"Because I bruised the Lupine Heir" he whispered, eyes wide in fright "I hurt the last Lupine Heir. Oh God, the Heirs will come after me too when they find out what I did."

I couldn't help it...I started laughing.