T H I R T E E N

Nova Nyx 🌙

I was in study hall, going over some notes for class when suddenly the chair in front of me was pulled out and a lithe body filled its empty space.

I looked up and immediately locked eyes with familiar dark ones.

Saoirse Fowl sat across from me, her composure calm, cool, and collected as her aura radiated something that immediately made me on edge.

"Why Hello New girl" she cooed at me "I don't think I had a chance to formally introduce myself. My name is..."

"Saoirse Fowl" I answered on a sigh, leaning back in my chair as I tapped my pen against the wooded table "Heir Fowl's niece and top female Pureblood in our graduating class ."

"So you've heard of me?" Her smile widened "How wonderful. This makes things so much easier on my end."

I raised an eyebrow, not really understand what she was trying to get at.

"I know you're new to our world new girl so I forgive you for not knowing how things work around here" she started "So I wanted to take some time out of my busy schedule to inform you myself. In order to avoid certain...miscommunications."

"What kind of miscommunications?"

"I need you to stay away from Phoenix" she said in a matter-of-fact tone, like if it was the most simplest and easiest task for me to follow "And while I understand that being an Heir means that you have to share a house with him and all, I need you to minimize contact with him as much as possible."

I gaped at her in open shock, my mouth literally hanging open for a few seconds.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts "You want me to stay away from a guy who I'm literally forced to live with? A guy who TA's my Shifter Lore class? A guy who I have to see and attend Heir meetings with every week?"

She nodded her head in seriousness.

"Why?"

She blinked at me "What?"

"Why would I do that?" I repeated my question "Why would I take such unnecessary steps and go out of my way to avoid my fellow Heir?"

I paused and asked "Or am I supposed to do the same thing for the other two too? How am I supposed to avoid all three roommates at once?"

"I don't care what you do or don't do for the other two" She shook her head "But I need you to stay away from Phoenix. My fiancé shouldn't have to be subjected to another female in his personal space just because she's a colleague."

"Fiancé?" My eyes widened at the word "What do you mean fiancé? You're engaged to Phoenix?"

The words tasted acidic on my tongue and the thought of that grumpy bastard with the sad blue eyes being engaged to her made me feel hollow...and murderous for some reason.

She nodded "We've been engaged to each other since we were children."

She unlocked her phone and scrolled through it for a minute before flipping it over and showing me what was on the screen.

My heart dropped at the sight of a young and stoic Phoenix standing next to a love stricken Saoirse, her eyes gazing adoringly up at him.

She looked at him like he hung the sun and stars just for her.