F O U R T E E N

NOVA NYX 🌙

"And that concludes our lesson today class" Professor Estrella announced, dismissing her students as she concluded her lecture "I'll see you all here next week." 

I was just about finished packing up my laptop and books when the Professor's voice rang out, making me freeze. 

"Ms. Lupine, a word if you will." 

The gazes of the few kids still lingering in the classroom shot between the Professor and me as I made my way down towards her podium. 

She sent scathing looks to the remaining students who hurried out of the classroom like their asses were on fire before turning back towards me, a sympathetic smile on her face. 

"Ms. Lupine, I wanted to discuss your recent test scores in my class" she bent down to pull out some papers out of her work bag "As you can see, your exams have been subpar at best. I'm afraid if you keep it up at this rate, you'll fail out before spring break." 

I just stared at the three big fat F's on my papers, wondering how in the world this could have happened. 

I've never got less than an eighty-five in any of my school work, proud that despite working two jobs to help my mom out with the mortgage, I never dropped below my "B" average. 

"But I studied for these exams" I croaked "I read and reread everything at least three times. I used all the same study habits I used before at my old school. How could I have failed so miserably?" 

"The curriculum at Crescent Academy is much more rigorous and...unique than it is in the human realm" she said "While I have no doubt that you did, indeed, study for these exam, I'm afraid that the techniques you used to study for them weren't quite effective like they would have been for your human courses." 

"What can I do?" I asked, looking at her desperately "I can't fail out of this class." 

She shot me a sympathetic smile "My best advice would be to find a tutor." 

"A tutor?" I said "How would I go about finding one?" 

"You wouldn't have to look far" She smiled at me "Mr. Lykos took this course freshman year and passed with flying colors. I would start by asking him if he could tutor you. I'm sure he'd be willing to help a fellow Heir out." 

I internally groaned at her solution because while I had no doubt that Kassian would help me if I pleaded enough (I just know he'd get some kind of sick and twisted enjoyment at my begging), my stubborn pride wanted me to see if there alternative to this predicament. 

"And there isn't any extra credit I could do in order to make these exams up?" I asked, a sliver of hope lining my voice "I would much rather try to do this on my own before involving someone else." 

She shook her head even before I even finished my sentence.