T H I R T Y - T W O

NOVA

I was at my desk, the one closest to the window, looking at the darkening sky when I felt a presence take the seat next to me.

When I looked over and found the familiar face staring back at me in amusement, I nearly sagged in relief.

"Charlie" I beamed at him "I didn't know we shared this class."

"We didn't until an hour ago" he grinned, pulling out a notebook and pencil case "Turns out, I'm behind in the competition and need to catch up."

"What competition?"

"The one for Valedictorian" he said "It's between me and one other person."

"Who?"

His lips pursed but I didn't miss the way his eyes drifted to the guy from our Defense class, the one that currently sat rigidly in his seat a few rows down.

"Oh" I said, clicking my pen twice as I thought about my next words "Am I ever going to get the story behind you two?"

"There's nothing to tell" Charlie said softly, ripping his eyes away from the guy and focusing on the white board, his jaw clenched tightly as he continued to look straight ahead.

"It sure doesn't seem like nothing to me" I said, my tone just as soft "It looks like you two have history."

He looked away.

"He has a history with a misconstrued past" Charlie said "Something he made very clear that he wants nothing to do with anymore."

"People have regrets" I murmured as the teacher walked into class "People also say things they don't mean in the heat of the moment."

He glanced at me "I never believed in that saying."

"Why not?"

"The anger doesn't make someone's words venomous " he said "The anger just gives them the nerve to say what they couldn't before."

I blinked at him "I didn't know you were a philosopher."

He cracked a smile, releasing the small tension that arose at the touchy subject.

"I'm a man of many talents Heir Lupine" he nudged my shoulder "Stick around and maybe you'll end up learning a thing or two."

"Maybe" I snorted "Maybe not."

"Alright class" the Professor cleared his throat "Let's begin."

~~~~~~~~~

My next class wasn't nearly enjoyable as the one I shared with Charlie.

And considering this class was the equivalent to a Human World history course, I was quite literally bored out of my mind.

The Professor just read off of his slides word for word, and since I had a copy of them, it was like I was basically teaching myself at this point.

Something I could gladly do in the comfort of my own room, surrounded by a plethora of snacks and my dog.

I was about to zone out completely when one sentence stood out from the rest, which had my gaze swinging towards powerpoint.

"The Equinox is considered one of the greatest accomplishments the light Fae have ever crafted" Professor Wynchester said "For it not only keeps out the Dark fae and their creatures of the night, but also creates balance between the Four Seasonal Kingdoms."