12: News and Nightmares

The team and the Chancellor were taken straight to the Senate, as welcoming party, plenty of Senate guards and Senators eagerly hoping to speak with Palpatine and the Jedi.

  The second the ship landed, all four of them stood up; when gate opened and the ramp slid down, they walked out with the Chancellor leading the line, being followed by Anakin, Allana and their astromechs. When he was a few steps away from the ship, Anakin realised Obi-Wan had stayed by the ship's gate, reclining his weight on one arm by the edge of the door with his eyes pinned to the politicians.

"Are you not coming, Master?" Asked Skywalker as he stayed by the gate. Allana stopped walking and turned around, folding her arms over her chest as she approached the men.

"Oh, no. I'm not brave enough for politics." Obi-Wan answered and the young Jedi chuckled at his words. "I have to report to the Council." Anakin and Allana stepped closer to the vessel's gate.

"Shouldn't we be there too?" Asked Lana.

"No need." Said Kenobi. "This isn't the formal report. Besides, someone has to be the poster boy and girl." He added looking at the HoloNet crew that was already stepping closer to the circle of politicians, trying to get an exclusive from the Chancellor. Anakin looked pained at his Master while Allana smirked at him.

"Poster man." Said Skywalker.
"Poster woman." Naberrie pointed out at the unison.

"Alright, alright. Poster man and woman." Truth is, Obi-Wan seemed not to want to acknowledge they have grown up. He has known it for a while, a very long while, but it's hard to look at a pair of kids that you've known for most of their life all grown up from time to time. In his eyes, they're always going to be a boy and a girl with dragon hearts that are too passionate about things they love or are a part of.

"But...hold on. This whole operation was your idea." Anakin commented.

"Yes, but let us not forget, Anakin, you rescued me from the buzz droids, you killed Count Dooku and rescued the Chancellor carrying Allana unconscious on your back." Anakin smiled at his Master.

"All because of your training." He said, trying to humble down the rain of compliments Obi-Wan was dropping onto him.

"But Obi-Wan's right." Said Allana, both men turning towards her. "Let's be fair, Anakin. Today you were the hero, you deserve to be the poster boy and a glorious day with the politicians." Anakin rolled his eyes and smiled at her as he nodded his head.

"Alright, but both of you owe me one," Said Anakin. "and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."

"Ninth time." Said Obi-Wan. "That business in Cato Neimoidia doesn't- doesn't count." Anakin chuckled and nodded his head. "Are you coming, Allana?"

"Oh, no. Thank you. I'm pretty sure Senator Amidala would like to have a word with me in a moment." Lana told her Jedi friend.

"Alright then, I'll see you both at the briefing." Both Jedi nodded and the gate closed as Obi-Wan stepped back into the ship, they watched the vessel fly away.

"You know? I don't keep count on how many times you've saved my life, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been over eight." Said Allana, making Anakin smile one more time.

"Pretty sure it's been more, but who's counting?"

"Definitely not me. But I have saved you more than you've saved me." Anakin smiled at the ground as he chuckled, then, back into her gaze that looked attentively and lovingly at him.

"Yes. And you have no idea how much." She smiled at him and he looked at the ground like a little kid in love.

  They stepped close to the Senators and heard a part of the conversation between Windu and Palpatine in which it was agreed that the Jedi Council would make catching Grievous their highest priority.