7: A Distant Echo

Anakin

Four months and a half out of the five months considered for our mission had gone by. I woke up from my two hour nap with a sigh and got up. I yawned as I ran my hand through my hair that's longer than ever, inches away from my shoulders.

I stretched and headed out of the resting area where lots of beds for my legion and myself were. I've been on exhaustive missions before, but this one has to be the one that has drained me the most by far.

We have been fighting off Admiral Trench's Separatist fleet for what feels like ages. We've lost many men, our ground advantage both on soil and space and our grip around the advantage on this fight.

Each day it got tougher and I really longed for this mission to be over just to go back home, hug my wife and fall asleep embraced by her. Force, I miss Allana so much it's unbearable. We talk almost every day, if not every week, but it gets tougher because this base is not as big as the Temple is. There, it's easy to get lost in the hallways and not being seen disappearing for hours and hours, here, anyone can tell I get lost in my room and don't leave for a while, but step out with a smile on my face.

Rex is the only one that knows where I go every day when nighttime arrives or when the sun is going up while everyone else believes I have gone to take a nap. At least I hope they do think so.

I made my way down the hall towards the small communication centre we have at base, where we also plan our battle and mission tactics. Rex asked me to join him there, he was accompanied by a long black haired trooper that wore a black and red armour.

"General Skywalker, thank you for joining us." Said Rex.

"Of course, Rex." I said, nodding at him.

"General, I'm Sergeant Hunter, from Clone Force 99." The clone introduced himself, shaking my hand. "Also known as The Bad Batch." I smiled at the name, it's cool, I like it.

"Nice to meet you, Sergeant. Now, what did you find that was so urgent?" They looked at each other.

"Well, with the help of the Batch, we managed to infiltrate Admiral Trench's Cyber Center to steal a strategic algorithm capable of predicting our every move with success. That's the reason why they have known our every move this whole time, sir." Rex commented. "We also found a...signal, General." He added.

"A signal?" I asked. Rex nodded.

"Yes. From Echo."

"Echo?" He nodded and my crossed arms fell to my sides. "But...he's dead, Rex. We watched him...die at the Citadel."

"I know, General. But it's him, I know it's him."

"The signal's authentic, General. I had Tech, one of my men, run it several times." Said Hunter. "It is real." I blew the air out of my cheeks.

"Alright." I said. "And where's the signal coming from?"

"Skako Minor." Said Rex.

"It's not too far from here." I nodded to myself. "What's our move?"

"Get there and find out what's going on. All the plans the droids are using against us are old plans Echo and I drew together. This might sound crazy, but I believe they could be getting the intel out of Echo somehow and that's why they've had the higher ground over us this whole time." I nodded once again.

"We could go, the batch and us, find out what's really going on down there. If Echo's...alive, he needs our help without a doubt, but our main goal must be understanding how they're doing this, how are they winning over and over again." I looked at Rex. "We don't know if Echo is still alive, I'd like to believe he is, but our main focus will be finally winning this battle. Go home." They nodded. "Let's go." I added after a moment.