Chapter 45 Stability and Undermission

<Paris, Valkyrie Training Grounds>

"It's nice to finally meet you. Er, cousin."

Kallen extended her hand to the tall and elegant viper with eyes of red. The Lance of Paris could only be described as bewitching in Kallen's eyes. Was she attracted to her? No, Kallen didn't like black hair, but Adrienne carried the air of a witch. No, perhaps it was her resting glare that was responsible for this uncomfortable atmosphere. If it was not that, her reserved demeanor could be responsible for the unease Kallen felt between them. Surmising the reason for the metallic taste at the back of her throat was impossible. Kallen stopped thinking before her brain began to fry. No, it must've been the jet-black hair even Otto looked menacing with black hair.

"Well met."

Adrienne curtsy despite being suited in Valkyrie's combative armor. They were to meet in the training grounds at the request of the Overseer. Kallen's Valkyries specialized in combat with Honkai beasts. They spared against each other but most Valkyries lacked experience in combat against humanoid creatures. Kallen of course sparred with her aunt, uncle, and father. While she was the strongest of all Valkyries she was also arguably the most skilled in human combat. Their meeting aimed to demonstrate and train her Valkyries to fight against humans. Simply put, Addriene was enlisted to be Kallen's punching bag.

"Do we have history?"

Adrienne winced, from her perspective she was nervous. Her hair shivered as she remembered the battle on that bridge. Kallen was the worst disaster her Parisian Valkyries had ever faced. The thought that Kallen was injured at the time reinforced the terror of Kallen's might. Adrienne herself had gotten noticeably stronger, she was entering her prime years, but she was told that Kallen had gotten stronger as well. She did her best to keep a straight face but for once in her life she was not looking forward to training. It was said that Eleanor was around Kallen's level. Unfortunately, Eleanor had other duties, and the Overseer, or rather, Uncle Cain had seen this training as an opportunity to tie Kallen in with the Parisian Valkyries. This training doubled as a political move, bonding the Holy Maiden with the Valkyries of Paris. It also settled some worries that the French had with Kallen's availability. Valkyries trained by the Holy Maiden were sure to be exceptional.

"I tried to stop you at the bridge."

Kallen's eyes sparked, yes she remembered fighting Adrienne. It was tough but her true opponent was Glory Schariac. Adrienne also wore a helmet back then. The combination of Kallen's split attention and the concealment effects of Adrienne's helmet had blurred Kallen's memory. She was straining herself in that fight as she recalled. She originally wanted to take the commander first but Adrienne proved too resilient. Kallen scanned over Adrienne's tall and voluptuous stature.

Unlike most Valkyries, Adrienne's musculature was visible in all the right places. It could be related to genetics, most Valkyries could train all they wanted without getting overly bulky. Adrienne could be missing this common phenotype or have a lower muscle density than the average Valkyrie. The more reasonable explanation was that she trained to the point where her muscles could show.

Kallen scanned over Adrienne once more before concluding the bulging muscles were due to her training. She of course was curvy in just the right areas and her muscles were athletic, not bulky. Kallen approved of Adrienne's effort and perhaps her own jealous complaint would be Adrienne's height. Kallen wanted to be tall too.

<Memory>

They were fourteen and Otto had just received a plentiful growth spurt. Having been at similar heights for as long as she could remember Kallen could only react as kids do. She pouted and pulled him around, she skipped practice just to try and grow.