Chapter 11 Temporary Partings

"You two work fast."

"You praise me too highly my lady."

"Then where is Agon? Is he alright?"

Gertrude stifled a laugh. Her eyes were bloodshot and marked by dark shades. Her body rocked from side to side and her knees trembled. She balanced herself steadily as if she were standing on a training rail. Her most hated exercise and one of her favorite forms of punishment she dished out in the Koleston branch of the Tracker schools.

"They took him. I've mapped the trail to the sewers that Lord Kaslana is reconstructing. Here's a map. It was a harrowing task I undertook all night. The enemy was at least an average Valkyrie in terms of speed. I've been up all night."

She stressed her last words and sagged her shoulders just enough for Sasha to notice. They stood in the hall, just outside Otto's room. The chill of the house intensified and Gertrude proceeded to chatter her legs for extra measure.

"Ok, let's go. I'll send for Sakura. We'll mobilize in an hour. One more thing. Is there any on-site that has extensive knowledge of the sewers? Job crew that can help guide us or give us tips."

"I'm not sure my lady."

"Alright, then we're leaving immediately. Frederick should be in his office. I'll send a bird to inform him of our arrival. You'll make your report and I'll make sure we'll get our guide."

"My lady, may I speak?"

"Yes, just tell me. I'm no noble. Even if I'm granted the status, I'd much prefer rude straightforward conversation."

"Apologies my lady. I just find that Lord Kaslana is incredibly busy. I hope we're not disturbing him."

"Don't worry we aren't. I've learned the protocols. Our mission takes the highest priority because it's classified as a class one case. A class one case has few parameters, but as long as we tick off three, we can request priority meetings. In our case, we have several parameters we tick. One, this is a state emergency that needs to be resolved at the fastest possible time. Two, the mission must be completed before the general public discovers the case. Three, rogue Valkyries are present and thus we can call upon special authorities to help deal with the case. Fourth, it has the potential to interfere with city projects, in our case the renovation of the sewers. Fifth, the report and discovery of the initial tracks or potential base must be reported to the city lord or higher authority within forty-eight hours for careful documentation and planning. Sixth-"

"-Our mission threatens potential political collapse. This depends on the situation but in our case, the mounting aggression of beasts is already unsettling. His Excellency the Overseer has declared that all evil has been vanquished and if another evil besides the beast presents itself then political strife may ensue. My lady, there's no need to list any more conditions we've fulfilled. Lord Kaslana didn't station me here to test a genius."

"Right. Well, then we're off."

"Wait."

"What is it?"

"My esteemed lady, I've been up all night and I've just lost a friend."

"Which is why you're anxious to save him."

"Errr-"

"I know you're impatient but we'll have to report to Frederick first."

"Of-of course." Gertrude stammered, bowing her head. The door of Otto's door clicked and out walked Vera. She held a book in her hand, thin and old, bound in a soft wood. For the first time in a long time, a genuine smile plastered her face. It was as though she was free of grief and worry.