Chapter 16 Communion

"Lord Kaslana, we've completely evacuated the victims. I recommend relocation for a few, their minds weren't strong enough to handle the abuse."

"How many do we need to relocate?"

"Our estimations tell us that at least thirty must be reallocated. Trauma treatment and other necessities must accompany them. A few have contemplated suicide, we must be cautious about the compensation their families receive on top of bribes. The most unfortunate prisoners were killed and three corpses were zombified."

"What is the status of the investigations? Documents recovered and so on."

"We've collected all we could within the energy-free zones. From what we've skimmed, it's clear we're dealing with the remnants of the Black Rose. As for energy-dense areas, we've employed the vaccines but few Valkyries have been able to withstand the filth. The enemy organization has an adaptive specialist. The collective Honkai energy is unnatural. There is nothing further to report my lord."

"I see, good work. I will take the lead of the investigation from here."

"Yes, my lord."

Frederick stood at the top railing of the underground prison chamber examining the forge below. This was where Marcus died and though he didn't particularly like Marcus, he could understand his downfall. That blind girl still worked diligently to assist the less fortunate. It was Frederick's fault, that her location was compromised.

A soft set of steps walked up behind Frederick. Vera scanned the place with listless eyes. It all looked the same. Every tunnel, every ramp, every rail, and every cell reflected the state of a desolate tomb. With dust streaming off the corners, so thick it could mistaken as cobwebs swept in the wind. But like a tomb, there was no wind in this underground space. The stillness locked all moments in time.

"I lost my arms here. I still remember how they severed my tendons. One by one my fingers grew weaker. The pain spiked every time they cut a string of muscle. I could only beg as they slowly robbed me of feeling. What fell first was the knuckles of my fingers. They were the scariest, I couldn't even wiggle them. Then came my palms, set ablaze by a scalpel. Then I couldn't rotate my wrist. From there the pain only grew worse. I learned to wish that they stopped at my palms. When they cut the final string, poking around my muscle like ravenous gulls, my arms snapped. A banding force back and forth, like rope snapped in the center, gave me my greatest shock of pain. I must've blacked out but I was conscious, I knew what was being done. I didn't know why. In the end, I was saved. Otto, brother, he carried me so preciously, apologizing profusely. It wasn't his fault. He sent me away for protection. Here I am again. Fulfilling part of his wish. I'm strong enough to protect myself. I have friends that are strong enough to protect me."

"That should've never happened to you."

"I agree. My brother shouldn't have to take all the blame."

"Politics don't care about what's right nor what is true. It's a game with intentions and goals. We choose the story and methods that serve us. They hope our intentions are just."

"Yes. It's sickening. I rather dive into that."

"I agree. This place was also a place of failure. I watched as Marcus gave up. I promised Will when he died that I'd protect his brother. Otto was halfway across the world. I assumed he meant Marcus. Marcus was an unlikable and eccentric man. Always gruff and at times I thought he was power-hungry. He seemed to especially hate Will. Never understood why. He was a contradictory fellow. He didn't bat an eye when one person picked his pocket but he would flip if someone bumped into him. Perhaps he was paranoid, I wonder what lessons he learned from acting so strangely. Needless to say, I had to watch as hiltless knives held me at bay. I could've thrown something. I could've gathered a little courage to risk my life and save him. You see that dense spot before the forge, thick with Honkai energy. He died there. I jumped down after all the energy left his body and took his corpse back. I resolved to not be such a coward, so when the clown came along I dedicated all my efforts. Now I'm back here again. With a broken promise, carrying an imitation of the mask the clown wore. Spreading his lies because that's what would bring peace."