Chapter 41 Crumbles

<Paris>

Paris was dubbed the City of Love long ago. Historians speculated as to why the city was given such a name. Were the people of France romantic? Was their dialect of the universal language most pleasing to the ear? Perhaps the countless cafes, terraces, and parks, date sites, gave the city its name. Perhaps it was built on a foundation of love and trust. Alas, the historians form a proper conjecture. The explanation conceived by public thought was that it had the best food and the most beautiful people. Well, that was only the public perception outside of France. Paris was not France, that phrase encapsulated the French's opinion of the city of love.

"Only those born and raised in Paris can appreciate the City of Love." Ava gagged. She scrunched her nose and curled her amber hair.

She hadn't been to Paris before but she knew its history. It had the largest walls of any city in Europe and was also said to be the first stronghold of the church a thousand years back. Of course, this history was speculative. The three houses of the church were established when they were founded but by who was the mystery. Even then a few banned books of the past depicted a church divided by various beliefs. They only united against Honkai beasts and what happened after was lost to annals of time.

"You'll get used to it. It's not as bad as swineherding." Skye shrugged. They were just passing the slums under the shadows of the walls. It was only natural that stench was abominable. London had the same issue, albeit to a much lesser extent. Besides, due to its sizable population, Paris would always be recovering.

"I would rather dissect ten rotting bodies, dunked sewage water." Ava shot her a heinous glare.

"Now you're just being crude." Skye rolled her eyes. It was thanks to advancements in medical knowledge that all the cities of Europe were being reconstructed. Koleston was no exception, improving the sewage systems would take decades provided the funds were properly allocated.

"If I had known Paris-"

"Yeah, but you need the money for your father." Skye cut in. Truthfully she was excited to be in Paris again. She remembered short hours and plenty of time to enjoy the sights. She wanted to eat authentic crepes again. Eating delicacies in Paris invited a different sense of fulfillment. Koleston had its merits but it was home, with too much comfort to enjoy foreign tastes.

"I'm babbling again." Ava looked away apologetically. It wasn't as though her father was in danger of dying, he was just bedridden. The disease was chronic and he needed to spend most of his time sleeping. She'd remain a coroner if his health didn't deteriorate. Her mother was taking care of him so he'd be fine. She had gone over this a million times with Skye.

"It's alright. I remember when I first visited Paris. I was disappointed it didn't smell better than a farm. But I got used to it. I found there are many places where the smell doesn't reach. I reckon we'd have a lovely time here." Skye reasoned. She shot an apologetic smile at Ava, they were best friends since they met. A little rough with each other at times but they stuck through. "When we get settled I'll show you around!"

"Ok," Ava smiled but she immediately covered her nose.

Skye didn't bring up Ava's rudeness. It was only natural that one complained about the smells of larger cities. She looked at the Valkyries marching with them, some had straight faces, and others had the same face Ava had. A difference in the sensitivity of smells Skye supposed. She looked at her Captain and Vice Captian they were prim and proper. Eleanor was a city girl, so she was used to such scents. Kallen went on her first expedition when she was twelve, she had sniffed a lot of things.

'It took over a month but we cleared the northern villages and towns pretty quickly. Honestly, I don't think any other international squad travels as much as we do. Captain Kallen's Oath is probably the reason she's called so much. This time it's probably for another reason.' Skye thought.