Chapter 51 What Has Changed?

<Paris, Parchment Paper Mill>

Kallen never thought that the investigation would take her to a papermill. The building before her was half a block in square diameter and it occupied both sides of the Seine River. There were countless walkways and bridges that connected the operating warehouses. A total of sixteen giant water wheels on each side, using the flow of the river to pound and consolidate the mix that would turn into parchment. Bam, Bam, Bam. The stampers pounded to the rhythm of the river, the current conductor and they were instruments. All the structures were made of wood and a steady line of material carts entered the south side of the structure. When they exited, they carried fresh stacks of paper.

'Otto would enjoy this.' Thought Kallen. She walked closer following the tracker that Eleanor had decided to recruit. When Eleanor showed Marth the torn-up anonymous note, she concluded that the paper was made from this factory.

"They use a special glue, the mix turns the parchment lighter than most. The texture is also smoother. Most paper is grainy, only this factory has the beating power to mix the paper so finely."

That was Marth's explanation and to be honest she might have said more. Kallen certainly couldn't keep up with all the terminology. The retting process, the intermediate process, and the sheet forming process all gave her a headache. Who knew parchment was so complex to make? It was this complexity that Kallen knew Otto would appreciate. He was always interested in learning obscure things. Sometimes she nabbed papers and books regarding topics he had no knowledge in. She'd leave ample pay of course but she rushed home without so much as a greeting. Reflecting on behavior, she admitted that it was a guilty pleasure of hers to see him study the materials she brought home so intently. His chiseled neck ridge and attentive eyes always may her heart flutter with appreciation and urges she could only recognize in the present.

'He was so cute. He wouldn't enjoy this.' Kallen scrunched her nose. She was in close proximity to the shop. Her companions, Marth and Eleanor, also scrunch their noses. Rotten eggs? Sulfur? Glue? It was a humid and sweaty smell that emitted from the factory.

"It's awful!" Kallen exclaimed. She pinched her nose dramatically. Eleanor remained as composed as possible. Marth looked for an entrance they could use. The trio wore full Valkyrie armor and with the recent events that meant everyone gave them a wide berth.

"Heretics in a paper mill?"

"Best not be caught up."

"I heard that the Overseer has finally caught some heretics."

While the people backed off and dispersed, Kallen listened to the whispers. It was similar to back before she ran. Condolences and rough policing had made the people wary of the church. Kallen looked around. Apprehension and fear were present in a few eyes but what Kallen noticed was the gap between the citizens. They stood in close groups and seemed wary not just of her but each other. The situation was different when the church oppressed the people, they were afraid but tight knit.

"I've found the records shed. We have permission from the owner and a warrant."

"From where?" Eleanor asked.

"I forged it." Marth replied.

Kallen, pinching her nose, signaled to hurry up their investigation. Marth was a genius, why was Eleanor so flabbergasted? Geniuses knew everything, they could do anything. Well not everything. Kallen's eyes drooped.

'They can't share secrets.' Kallen thought. She could no longer smell the putrid process of making paper. She couldn't feel the chemicals disturbing the air.

<Paris, Quill Emporium>

Marth greeted a few workers and opened a few documents. It was just a mere thirty minutes later when they were on another trail. A paper shop, to be more specific an ink and quill shop was their next topic. Kallen walked in and she let out a heartfelt sigh. Otto would love this place, it was old and rustic with small bins of feather quills. Markers and fountain pens of unique designs were on display. Kallen eyed a pen with twin serpents curled around the body. It was a medical symbol, that's what she was sure of. Entering such shops brought memories. When her father was still alive they visited a shop, she foolishly stuck quills in Otto's hair. Her father did the same to her and the owner grumbled from behind the counter to buy something.