Chapter 15 Remit

Two Valkyries stood on guard, a section of the tunnels that echoed every sound from the underground system. Of course, it was nigh impossible to distinguish every sound but at the very least they could recognize the occasional Honkai beast that appeared within the tunnel systems. To them, this assignment was no different than before. Their position in the Black Rose didn't change and neither did their conviction.

"It's too quiet."

"A Petal recently left."

"Fair point."

"The next few days should be beast-free. We might be able to play with the toys that won't sell."

"You got an eye on any of them?"

"Toys are toys."

"But there are better-looking toys and better-performing toys. Am I making sense?"

"Mhmm, if only they had certain looks."

"Rarities. Holy looks are often guarded too well. Look no further than the Holy Son."

"Yes those old rumors about a beast pacing around him. Warding everyone away. Sounds like a lot of fun was had."

"Even the strongest of wills can't resist such a gem. Perhaps only the dumbest of minds can."

"Agreed but let's not pursue this subject. I'm too distracted for my own good."

"Alright."

Silence passed and the two Valkyries started to doze off listening to the echoing sounds of tunnels. Running water and chambered traffic were the most distinct sounds they could hear. To them, it felt as though nothing had changed, even if the world did.

"Do you think we should continue to risk this? We'll make enough to retire. Besides, without the Head, we're serving nothing more than an empty agenda."

"It's not the worst job. This is much better than fighting hordes of beasts and I'd rather not listen to the church's bible when my money runs out. Frankly, if the Head asked me to continue without pay I'd do it. I have a lowly position as a mere apprentice member of the Rose, yet I live a better life than any elite Valkyrie."

"So you'd stay out of gratitude."

"You would too. Don't pretend otherwise. We're not expendable soldiers here. Here we're nobility, even if our strength doesn't correlate to such."

"I was just testing you. I'm glad you share the same sentiment. I know some within the order have the mind to quit. Without the Head's leadership profits may drop."

"Don't hold it against them, we joined out of greed too. Loyalty is developed. Nonetheless, the Black Rose is still strongly united, no factions divide us."

"I'm grateful for that. Ha, the church wishes for our loyalty."

"It's a privilege of the few. Our privilege."

They looked at each other and shared a smile. They were murderers, schemers, rapists, and worse but they were also comrades and friends. Perhaps they'd not indulge in such conversation all of the time but in precious moments they could break free from the shackles of discipline. They were truly disgusting and irredeemable creatures who'd meet their day of reckoning.

From the darkness before them two figures moved with unparalleled speed. Both of them blurred white and silver. One was a towering giant, while the other was a nimble fairy. The two Valkyries couldn't react in time.

Frederick Kaslana lunged with his rapier outstretched. He stabbed her with pinpoint precision. His blade severed her vocal cords before she could make a sound. A faint slick sound echoed quietly and melded with tunnel's sounds as he withdrew his blade.