Chapter 25 Delays

Eleanor couldn't help but shudder as blanketed snow continued to fall. The air was frigid and despite their resistance to the cold, her Valkyries could feel the chill seeping into their bones. Their only saving grace was that they'd finished their duties. The north gate of Watford was within the view of the naked eye and so was the remnants of battle. The ruffles of dirt folded into the land like dunes of sand. The blood melded with snow and ice, creating a never-ending rejuvenation cycle. Red was the last thing the Valkyries wished to see so they shuffled past the few workers by the wall. Lanterns, hearths, and salt made the place workable. The clamoring of paste and stone was faintly heard as the falling snow caught the sound waves.

"I'm Eleanor Schariac, Vice Captain of the Koleston Valkyrie Guard. Vice Captain of this Expedition, days ago our Captain, Kallen Kaslana arrived to reinforce your walls. We've completed our tasks and cleared the plains and forests north of threats."

The guards nodded. They've been prepped ahead of time and though a solemn atmosphere hung over the city, they seemed a bit too animated. Warm smiles of gratitude greeted them and a few errand boys and girls fetched them blankets and hot food. Such actions relieved some of the stress the Valkyries faced. It was a warm welcome they weren't used to. Most towns weren't so accommodating as having people on standby was often a hassle. For example, if the Valkyries didn't show up on the same day the food might go to waste. Such cases meant that most accommodations, barring shelter, were provided after the arrival of Valkyries.

Eleanor left her troops to rest in the station by the gate. The building was more than large enough to warm them. Three stories of insulated stone was a godsend after days of frozen weather. Their real quarters of course would be given to them later. A much better accommodation as Watford was one of the wealthier towns, with two rivers running through. If they expanded a bit more they could be considered a large city.

"Lead me to Captain Kaslana," Eleanor told an errand boy smoothly. The child nodded and started to move but Eleanor quickly caught him. "It's cold, don't forget a coat."

She wrapped a warm blanket around the boy and they set off. As they sauntered the streets Eleanor recalled her various memories in this town. The cuisine of Britain's towns and cities was often lacking. Koleston was an exception because of its proximity to the sea via its river.

Watford was in part the worst of the towns in terms of cuisine. It sat in the middle of the country, with long roads and strange weather. Their specialty was carrots but not the sweet kind. They had a bitter variant that was tough enough to survive freezing winters. Strange little oddities that sustained the city well. It was here that Eleanor had tasted the worst pie in the world, unbelievably tough and harder than tack. What was strange was that the residents could stomach it. It was often prepared in the rations and the Valkyries would play a punishment game with the food. Such festivities often reminded Eleanor of home, Oktober Fest was something her brother loved. She'd not partake as she didn't much like beer and craft but the sausages and schnitzels were something she always indulged in.

"We've arrived my lady." The boy bowed.

Another inn, much larger than the one they stayed in at Luton towered over Eleanor. It stood four stories tall and was made of complete stone. There was surprisingly no dirt between the walls, no moss or mold either. This used to be the lord's residence, strange what happened to him?

"Thank you. Get back safely."

Eleanor entered and was met with a hot blast of air. There were plenty of fireplaces and a strangely empty tavern. A few workers were doing the upkeep, tending to the deer trophies on the wall or dusting the frames of rather expensive portraits. One looked up and rushed to receive her, a medium-height server. He bowed and prompted her to remove her shoes. Slippers of appropriate size were provided and every bit of snow that dropped from her uniform was cleaned steps after they dropped.