Chapter 22 Not Yet Halfway

"The skies are brighter already. Look not one cloud is grey despite the season!"

"It's the Holy Maiden's blessing. She's graced our humble town. It's a shame they should leave so soon."

"Can't tarry them any longer. It's not just our town that needs help."

Kallen walked past the crowd, smiling and waving. She could have captured their hearts with her looks alone, but it would only be surface-level. Even now she couldn't help but shake off the thought that she was a symbol. She never realized it before but Frederick's constant reminder and her uncle's plans pushed this heroic responsibility onto her. With a bit of reflection, she realized she was always a symbol.

'As long as it helps the people. My father was also a symbol too. A protector of the weak and I'm the same.' Kallen thought, reassuring her troubled mind.

The Valkyries following her smiled but didn't wave. This discipline was part of their training. Most didn't care much for fame. They already had plenty of responsibility and benefits as elites. Perhaps a few were envious of Kallen's or even Eleanor's status but they recognized that the two mostly deserved their power. They weren't insufferable and didn't laud their achievements over others.

The Valkyries left Luton. From a bird's eye view, they looked like a rare band of nomads. There were no caravans, nor were there horses. The company consisted of warriors carrying heavy loads without the slightest bit of displeasure. They had a few carts but nothing more. The reason was simple horses were too slow and expensive to maintain. It was most efficient for the Valkyries to bear the load, it didn't trouble them much.

"Vice Captain."

"Yes, Captain?"

"How much time do we have to make up?"

"A week and a half, Captain."

Kallen's mind exercised its nerves. Ideas trickled like water droplets on a drainpipe. The runoff was enormous but what she could retain served her well. Her brow furrowed trying to make sense of her plan.

"We'll be in Watford soon. How far have we cleared?"

"During our investigation, our Valkyries have cleared every village up to Rebourn. We'll pick up some of them along the way. According to the messages, everything is clear. Some of the energy zones have even disappeared on watch. You'll need to cleanse about forty zones with your key."

"I see. Then about halfway."

"Do you want me to do as we discussed?"

"There's no need. We're not so off schedule. Thank you."

"It's only my duty, Captain."

There was no snorting. No expression of malice. Only the air was aware of the tension between them. On the other hand, their conversations had become more bearable. They talked to benefit others, if they had their way they'd keep their distance.

Eleanor stepped back and melded with the troops. They laughed and talked, some stuck crumbs of bread, but most important of all they connected. Kallen glanced back, a little envious of her subordinates. She saw Eleanor smiling sadly, holding on to the remaining joy in her life. She saw Olivia sneaking food from one of the wood carts. She saw Skye and Ava bickering like normal.

'Sakura it wouldn't be too bad if you were here with me. We could talk or even walk side by side. I can show you some of the world's happenings and perhaps we could explore things I've missed in my travels.' Kallen thought.

Though it was rare, Sakura showed her around Yae Village several times. Those days were filled with warm aromatics. Festivals and new cultures always entertained her and filled part of the void. Their hands would always find each other in a crowd and if she was lucky they'd share a kiss. There was always new food to consume and new wonders to discover.