23 You have to let her go

(Hongjoong's pov)

I'm utterly mortified that Dalhae caught a glimpse of me in such a wretched state yesterday. My fury had a merciless grip on me, rendering me completely helpless.

Glancing down at my hand, I swiftly snapped my fingers, causing all the minuscule cuts to vanish into thin air. Upon returning to my office, I was confronted with an absolute chaos. None of the surfaces reflected my image, intensifying my loathing for the situation.

With a mixture of shame and reluctance, I force myself to face her today. There is something I must tell her, no matter how uncomfortable it may be. Letting out a heavy sigh, I begin the arduous task of meticulously clearing the office of every shattered mirror fragment.

With unwavering determination, I will confront life's challenges headfirst, refusing to cower in the shadows any longer. After all, hiding is not a luxury I can afford.

As I made my way down the stairs, the sound of laughter reached my ears, filling me with a sense of annoyance. The constant presence of unfamiliar faces in my grand mansion often irked me. If only it could be just Dalhae and I, but alas, such a request would be deemed unreasonable.

"Sir Hongjoong! How are you today!?" The director inquired. I could see behind the fake smile a tinge of fear in his eyes. That's what he gets for always being mean to Dalhae.

"I am quite formidable" I replied, scanning the surroundings in search of any sign of her presence.

I could hear her laughter echoing through the air as she emerged from the corner, Seonghwa by her side, their arms wrapped around each other in a tight embrace. I couldn't help but exhale a little in annoyance.

Her gaze widened upon spotting me. "Oh Hongjoong! Hi" She said, smiling warmly.

"Hi" I mustered a feeble wave in response. Why did I do that. I must have looked like a fool.

"Today, we have the exciting opportunity to explore another captivating museum in town. We have been graciously approached by the museum's team, seeking our assistance," The director announced with enthusiasm. "I already made the teams, so when I call your name, go to your partner" Excited whispers filled the place as the crew awaited their assigned partners.

"I'm sending sir Hongjoong and Dalhae together" The director's voice echoed through the hall, catching me off guard.

Seonghwa's eyes widened in disbelief. "Wait, what? Her and I are always together. Why should she be paired with an ancient vampire who knows nothing about artifacts?" He scoffed, shooting me a disdainful look.

I huffed, turning my head to meet his gaze. "That's where you're mistaken. Being older has its advantages, you know. I possess a wealth of knowledge that might surprise you"

Seonghwa didn't say anything back. Got ya. Score one for the old vampire. "Don't be mean to mister Hongjoong" Dalhae playfully slapped his arm, eliciting a secret smile from me that I tried to conceal.

The director finished assigning the teams, and I was ready to head to the museum. "My partner!" She exclaimed, approaching me. I can see a little pink fabric stuck to her face. I shook my head, no it can't be.

"Looks like we're stuck together again today" She said, gently linking her arm with mine. Seonghwa was paired with another teammate, a hint of envy in his eyes.

The car ride was silent. None of us wanted to talk about the events from yesterday night and I understand completely. Yet, I couldn't bear the weight of the silence any longer.

"Did I hurt you?" I inquired, gesturing towards the pink fabric.

She shook her head. "It'll heal quickly. Don't worry about it"