Chapter 61

The streetlights outside the stadium had all flickered on. When WTG's players walked outside, they realized it had already gotten dark. They didn't rush to get into their team car. Instead, they stood or sat around and waited for their remaining players, who'd stayed back for the post-game interview.
Their top laner Paopao lit a cigarette, then looked off in the direction of DG's exit. He clicked his lighter again and again, striking up a da-da-da sound.

From behind him, someone finally spoke up.

"Ai, today's DG was really..."

The rest of those words remained unspoken, but anyone could tell from the speaker's tone that they wouldn't have been words of praise.

All these players were part of the same industry. The ruthlessness they showed on the field was one thing, but their friendship off the field was another thing. After seeing that moving scene of DG bowing to their fans, none of the victors could feel much joy in their heart. They mostly only felt sorrow.

Ever since the spring tournament, WTG had devoted no small amount of time to analyzing DG. All this time, they'd considered DG their strongest opponents. But at the spring tournament, when they finally faced off...

Fish's spontaneous pneumothorax handed WTG a sudden victory.

Then, Shen Qiao joined DG.

With all eyes on him, Shen Qiao immediately demonstrated his ability to cooperate with his new teammates. He shattered all doubts about him and breathed life back into DG, giving them new hope for the season. After winning back-to-back games, the team seemed stronger than ever, racing onwards to the international tournament finals.

Just when everyone thought this team would be able to continue demonstrating their strong style of play to the end-

Lu Zhe was attacked by a crazed fan, injuring his arm. He was unable to continue playing.

Once again, DG was defeated by WTG.

History always seemed to repeat itself.

And yet.

Although they'd easily shut DG out twice, no one on WTG was happy.

They felt only a sense of desolation, like foxes grieving the death of a rabbit.

After all...

On this field, no one could win forever.

The career of any professional player was short. Missing even one year was a huge regret. Winning two consecutive world championship titles was something miraculous that most teams didn't dare dream of.

Who could guarantee that WTG wouldn't become the next DG?

Injuries, diseases, unexpected incidents, or simply 'losing your touch'...

Anything could happen. Even with the most perfect line-up, there was no guarantee that any one team could win the title.

Paopao thought back to DG's developments throughout that year. He took a drag from his cigarette and exhaled the smoke to the side. He couldn't help but sigh. With a wry smile, he mused, "Do you guys think, if this were a comic book... would we come off as the big villains?"

They'd won, in ways that felt like they'd cheated. There was no sense to it.

One of the other WTG players said, "DG's players are the main characters? Let's not go that far. Even if they're in a miserable state this year, I don't want to lose to them in the future."

The conversation was carried away on the wind, and the other players managed to laugh as they listened.

That was true. It was one thing to feel sorry for your opponent-