Chapter 39: The Unwelcome Quest

---

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.

- Helen Keller

---

<(Atem POV)>

"What happened, sir? Did you get another quest from the system? Is it something bad?" Zoya asked curiously from the mother box floating beside him.

Although the mother box was a reward that Atem got from the system and thus she was aware of its existence, it, however, could not perceive the system directly and only Atem himself had full access to it. So, she would not know the mission contents of the system unless he himself told her about it.

"Yep. A very bad mission. It seems that we will have to survive a... planet-ending disaster called Galactus, or, maybe I should call him a planet-digesting disaster. But the actual unfortunate thing is that even if we do succeed in that regard, the rewards for it aren't even that great. All I will get from successfully completing this mission by saving both myself and the Earth is just a measly tier upgrade of two of my abilities. Can you believe it? Not even new powers. Just upgrades in two of them. What a load of bull crap." I grumbled annoyed at the system's unfairness while I accepted the mission.

"... Oh, I am sorry for your bad luck master. But don't worry, I am sure we can turn this around somehow. Now, do you plan on fighting this Galactus? Because, if you do, then I think I have already found his current location by analyzing the pattern at which the cosmic storm is changing. It seems that some extremely powerful energy field is affecting the cosmic storm, forcing it to change its predetermined path and intensity. Finding its exact spatial coordinates from those readings isn't that difficult. It seems that this Galactus isn't exactly trying to be subtle." Zoya quickly informed, sounding like she wanted to be praised.

"That was fast. Thanks, Zoya, you are really helpful. Tell me, is the cosmic storm still en route for the ship or has it already changed its direction? Also, if the ship and the storm are going to collide, how long will it take to make contact?" I enquired.

"No, the ship's general direction still hasn't changed much. Only its speed and intensity changed due to the effect of Galactus' unique energy field. So, the space shuttle will enter the storm in about 7 hours and 43 minutes." Zoya answered diligently.

"It seems we still have time... Inform the rest of the team that I will be away for a few hours. Tell them to proceed with the tests as planned. Also, make sure that you keep the thrusters of the shuttle ready to be used at full power. Even if I am late and cannot provide protection as I originally planned, that should still be fast enough to help them escape the space storm." I commanded as I willed open a Boom tube to the coordinates that Zoya provided me concerning the location of Galactus.

"Let me come with you too master. I can do everything you just ordered even without physically being present in the ship. As for collecting data about the cosmic storm, Reed's advanced instruments as well as the extra devices that Forge fitted in the shuttle would be enough to know everything we need to know about it. I don't need to be here for that purpose. However, if I come with you, I can help you in many other ways. Besides opening a Boom Tube and teleporting you away to safety if things become too dire, I can also try to find more data about Galactus, as well as how he operates." Zoya pleaded as she blocked my way.

"... *Sigh* Fine, you can come with me. But you have to stay back at a safe distance. Even I am not sure if the current me can defeat the monster that is Galactus." I said with a sigh as I walked in through the Boom Tube followed by the happily beeping Zoya.

Galactus was one of Marvel's most powerful beings and probably much stronger than even Uatu, the watcher. The World Devourer was strong enough to take on multiple celestials all at once and still give them a tough fight. In a particular DC-Marvel amalgam comic, it was said that he manhandled Darkseid like it was nothing.