Chapter 24: The Genius Behind the Cape

---

"Doom is no man's second choice."

- Doctor Victor Von Doom, (Marvel Comics)

---

[New Quest Received!]

[Quest Title: 'Doom, a space frontier?']

[Quest Description: Find out exactly why the genius Dr. Victor Von Doom wants to join in on the space exploration despite possessing enough wealth, resources, and knowledge to make a space shuttle himself. Is he truly petty enough to spend so much money and join the program just to insult his biggest rival? Or, is it something else? Find out his game plan and put a stop to it.]

[Quest Reward: Spawn's Mystical Cape]

[Quest Failure: Doom starts an apocalypse]

'Huh, A cape? I am going to be investigating and quite possibly fighting against one of THE most intelligent and dangerous guys in the Marvel universe and all the system is going to reward me for it, is one measly cape?... I think this system might be broken or maybe something is malfunctioning after the last UI update. Also, doesn't this system know that capes are out of fashion for supes? In the words of one of the greatest fashion designers in the world of animated fiction, NO CAPES!' I sarcastically thought as I thoroughly read the entire mission details.

The mission's goal itself seemed really vague since the exact objective wasn't specified leaving a lot of grey areas. Also, it didn't give out any choices or options to choose from. This meant I could interpret the mission how I wanted to and the system only cared as long as whatever Doctor Doom wanted to do was prevented, thus leaving a whole lot of ways I could go about this quest.

"A small-time investor? I thought Baxter Foundation was acquired by Meta Enterprises. But, this means that you are still being funded by outside investors. I wonder why. Is this because your owners maybe do not see your 'value'?" Victor snarkily remarked, his comment directed at Reed while ignoring me to the best of his capabilities like I was not even worth his time.

"If he is a small-time investor, then America might be a third-world country." Johnny jokingly whispered to Reed who was standing beside him with a hearty chuckle at which Victor only raised his brows.

"I have no time or patience for your silly jokes and useless conversations. Now, will any of you start the demonstration, or will I have to do it myself? However, in the case of the latter, I doubt the directors at NASA are going to like you not cooperating with me." He threatened with an expression that shouted that he was one of those highly talented yet spoilt young master types.

"Fine, I'll start the practical demonstrations." Reed finally said with a sigh after a few seconds of weighing his options.

The world's smartest man was not only afraid of NASA pulling their funds for half of the project that they were financing but also scared of potential retaliation from the American Government under Latverian pressure by blocking Baxter Foundation's space launch rights while citing some bullshit reasons like the launch possessing some danger to the nation. After all, Reed didn't even have a fraction of the political influence, connections, wealth, and popularity required to directly go and fight against the Government that someone like Tony Stark enjoyed.

Susan, Johnny, and Ben also understood this, so they remained quiet despite the angry expressions they were sporting on their faces. It seems they were angered at Victor's words and arrogant manners as well but unfortunately, all of them had worked too hard on the space project to just give it up.