Chapter 75 - Long Forgotten Rocky Road

"Do you mean E. J. Kim?" his eyes light up at her name. I just stare at him in complete bafflement.

"You are aware of her work?" he seems genuinely excited about this and I am not sure whether to find it endearing or smack him over his head to knock some sense into him.

Who does not know her?

"You are E.J. Kim's son?" I ask him in disbelief. I can't believe someone like him can come out of such a talented human. A human who is capable of making people feel an array of emotions from laughter to despair, from pain and anguish to giddiness and happiness with just her words.

A human who made a whole new universe with ink on paper gave birth to Yeonjun.

"You don't have to look that disgusted at the idea. I know, I can never be like her" he comments, slightly sulky, slightly hurt.

I correct my depression and compose myself.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I just... This is a whole lot of information to process. I am sure you are great. You just didn't seem like the literary type" I shrug, trying to salvage the conversation.

"Yeah yeah, I know. I am a dumb guy. Nobody expects me to be her offspring. Maybe I am more like my father than I let on" he bites out and I shake my head. But before I can say anything else, he continues.

"But my father managed to be a billionaire and run a fucking empire so maybe he has some brains as well. Guess I didn't get the genetic lottery" he is back inside his own head. I can see the demons haunting him and it pains me how the smallest things trigger him.

I know he has been hurt by many. I didn't want to add to it. Today had already been a hell of a day for him and we were on neutral if not friendly ground.

I didn't want to ruin it.

But as I continued to gaze at Yeonjun, the son of the renowned E.J. Kim, I couldn't help but feel a surge of curiosity mingled with disbelief.

How could someone with such an illustrious lineage seem so disconnected from it?

"You don't understand, I've never been able to live up to her expectations, to her legacy," Yeonjun muttered, breaking the awkward silence that had settled between us.

I frowned, feeling a pang of sympathy for him.

"But surely you must be proud of her achievements?" I tried to dissipate the gloominess that was falling over our conversation.

"Proud? Of course, I am. She was one of a kind" he admitted, his voice tinged with bitterness.

"But it's hard, you know? Growing up in the shadow of greatness, feeling like you'll never measure up." he sighed defeatedly.

I reached out to him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I can't imagine how that must feel. But remember, you're your own person, with your own talents and strengths." I smiled at him when he raised an eyebrow at me.

"I am sure you are a mean dancer. It is okay to not choose her footstep" I try to reassure him.

Yeonjun sighed, his gaze distant as if lost in a whirlwind of memories.

"You don't understand. My mother, she's... she's larger than life. Her stories have touched the hearts of millions and brought joy and comfort to so many people. SHe gave away all her profits to her community. She did everything she could to make others comfortable. She was an idol. And here I am, struggling to find my own voice in a world that expects me to be..." he shook his head, not finishing his sentence.