Chapter 32: Reginald

Her fingers clung to my shirt and I could feel the thick fabric dig into my shoulders. I could not tell if the fear inside of her was from flying far above the ground in my arms or if it was because she had no idea where we were going. I had wanted to take her somewhere special, but I decided late last night that I was not going to tell her where. I wanted, needed to surprise her, needed her to trust me and this was the only way I could think of doing it.

If I could push her, just slightly, in situations like this where she has to depend on me and things turn out well, could she ever find it possible to trust me? I hoped so, on many levels. Perhaps it was to soon and I actually had no idea what real love meant, but this feeling that I have for her felt just as I always imagined it would be and then some.

This warm, comfortable, happy feeling that I had when I was with her, the feeling that I could be myself around her, that I did not have to be someone else. Then again, there was the feelings that I had where it was more than just feeling like I could be myself, but that I wanted to be who I was. I did not want to be a prince with her and I wanted more than to just be her husband, I wanted to be her friend as well. I wanted her to trust me as I trusted her, but I knew that would take time. I knew that it would be something that we would have to work at, together.

"What is that?" Her voice was filled with wonder, her eyes dancing with curiosity as her gaze fixated on the seen below us. Hundreds of vibrant green trees fluttered in the wind as the animals scurried about minding their own business as they go about their day. Though that was not what caught her attention. She was astounded by the small lake beneath us, it's rippling water glinting in the sunlight.

"That is where we are headed." I smiled softly as her grip tightened on my shirt but I knew that it was not from fear, but from excitement. While this was not the lake that we had met at, it could very well be the one that the two of us would be able to bond with. At least, I hoped so.

"It's so beautiful." She muttered as we flew closer and a proud smile played on my lips. I knew that she would love it, knew that it would be something to make her happy. Of course, what she could not see, was a small cottage that belonged to my family. None of us had been here in a long while but I knew maids would come every day to keep the cottage cleaned and in a livable state.

While there was no way that we could stay the night in the cottage, I had every intention of doing it at least once. I wanted her to spend time away from the insanity of the palace, the pressures of being a princess. Then again, I wanted a lot of things and I was not sure if any of it could happen.

"Hold on tight, we are going to land." I told her softly, pulling her closer, feeling her small body against mine as I leaned forward, floating towards the ground. It had been a very long time since I had landed so slow before, I would generally plummet to the ground only to catch myself before falling. If I was by myself, then I would land, but with Illiana, that would not happen. That would never happen.

I carefully set her to the ground after we landed, keeping my arm around her waist until I was sure that she was steady. I glanced behind us, turning to see the outline of the palace in the distance. The flight only took half an hour, but I could imagine the length of time that would needed if one had to walk the distance.

"Where is this?"

I turned back towards her, studying her as she watched the sunlight danced across the water. "This is near one of our cottages for those times when we want to leave the palace but be near in case something happens." My hand slid into hers as I stepped closer to her, debating what we should do next. I knew that it was to soon to eat, but I wanted to show Illiana the cottage.