Chapter 21: Illiana

Chapter 21: Illiana

There was no way to describe what I was feeling when I was around him, even now. At the end of this week I am to marry him, his mother even spoke of moving it up, to marry him sooner and that terrified me.

But then there was him and the way he was. His voice was so full of pain when he had asked me if there was something he had done and I had to admit that he had done nothing. That was what confused me. Prince Reginald really had done nothing wrong, he was innocent for now.

Did he really think that I could tell him what was wrong? That I would willingly talk about it? Was it not something that he should already know?

That question came a lot and I knew that. It came to much, especially when I was with him. I wondered time and time again what it was that he wanted from me, what it was that he expected, and then what would he demand?

Would I never really have a choice?

I groaned loudly before turning around, pressing my face into the pillows and blocking morning light. I was exhausted. Prince Reginald had followed me wherever I went, if he was not the one leading. Some of the places that he had to show were beautiful, engaging, and breath-taking. He had shown me a small gazebo in the middle of the maze, another on the other side of the grounds surrounded by rose bushes and trees, and then guided me to a part of the castle where one could see a lake shinning in the distance.

Even if things were horrible with him, even if I did end up suffering for the rest of my time here, at least I have something beautiful to look at. It was worth it, in its own way. At least I would not suffer in darkness forever.

A soft knock on the door interrupted my thoughts and I turned to look at it, watching it as creaked open and the two handmaidens walked in.

"You are awake, my lady!" Isabella smiled at me as she walked closer, stepping up to the bed and offering me her hand. "If you will, my lady, we must get you ready for breakfast and then you have your lessons shortly after.

Lessons? I asked myself as I shuffled out of bed, placing my feet on the ice cold floor. The only lessons that I remembered were the ones that the queen had told me about, the ones about teaching me magic and flying. But that was a joke, was it not?

"Her majesty, the queen, had sent word to the seamstress to make you some better dresses." Elizabeth held one of the gray dresses in her hands as she walked up to me and holding them out for me to grab onto.

"Is there a problem with my dresses?" I questioned and watched curiously as the two of them exchanged an odd look.

"It is not that there is a problem with your dresses, my lady." Isabella smiled reassuringly, her hands clasping behind her. Wariness stood in her eyes as if she was attempting to be careful at what she said. But no one was worried about the things that they said to me, were they?

"The thing is, my lady, the dresses that you have are more suited for travel, not every day proceedings in the palace." Elizabeth informed as she watched me. "So it is not that the dresses have anything wrong with them, it is just that they do not fit properly with this."

"So I have to get new dresses that will be appropriate?" I questioned and the two of them nodded enthusiastically, relief spread on their faces.

"Exactly. Now, if you will, my lady, we do need to get you ready for breakfast. It is extremely important that you eat before your lessons." Isabella stepped forward and waving for me to step away from the bed and over towards the bathroom. "I assume you will want to dress yourself again?"

"Yes please." I muttered before walking away and hurrying into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I had a feeling that this would not last forever, that they would eventually find out about the scars. I was sure that they had their own, so why was I so self conscious about letting them see mine? Did they not already expect them to be there? So why was I so ashamed?