Chapter 18: Illiana

Chapter 18: Illiana

I turned once more in the bed, my mind refusing to shut off so I could sleep. There was so many things that I did not understand, things that made no sense to me, but I had no one to ask. No one to get help from or anything else.

What if everything here, right now, was a lie? To get me to let my guard down until after I was married?

But that could not be it, not now. Every thing the two of them had said, the way they acted, it was so normal and welcoming. I wondered if Reginald would still be the same way that he was when we were at my home, if he would still be as gentle.

Was I foolish for hoping so? Hoping that maybe, just maybe, my life would not be as horrible as I had originally believed it would be? Could that really be possible after everything that had happened?

I turned over once more, curling up on my side and hiding underneath the blankets. My hand brushed against the soft, silk-like sheets underneath me, my head resting on a couple soft pillows. Even the bed was different, it was soft and comfortable, like it was going to caress you while you slept. Compared to the bed that I was used to, it felt like I was laying on clouds rather than rocks.

My eyes slid close and I sighed into the sheets, hoping that sleep would come. One way or another, I was going to need as much rest as possible for tomorrow because I could only imagine how hectic it will end up being.

*

"Hello, your majesties!" A bright, cheerful voice called out as we entered, a small bell ringing loudly as we walked in. "Come in, we just finished making the dress!"

Other dresses of multiple colors hung from the walls, each of them as fancy as the next. From blues to reds, and every other color, the store seemed like it was a part of a rainbow.

"I have the dress in the back, if you will all follow me." A woman appeared in front of us, her eyes glancing over me with a skeptical gaze before turning back to the queen. "It is good to see you again, my lady. I do hope that the dress came out to your desire." Her eyes were stern and held very little enjoyment, it was as if she could not smile. She turned on her heel and led us towards the back, her blond hair swaying behind her as she walked forward.

We stepped through a small door in the back and into the room behind it where about three other women were. Two of them looked to be a few years older than me as well as sisters. The both of them had blond hair, like the one we had followed, and their light, silver blue eyes carried the same sparkle.

The other one looked to be a little younger, but older than Princess Rebecca. She had dark black hair, which contrasted the light blonds that seemed to dominate the room. But that was not really the surprising part. Her skin was darker than the others, tanner. Her black eyes turned towards us as we walked in and she smiled, her teeth sparkling white.

"Are you Princess Illiana?" The older woman questioned, her stern eyes turning to me, looking down her nose.

"I am." I responded, swallowing nervously as she waved at me to get closer, her arm held out to me.

"I figured as much, my lady. If you would follow Crista here to the back, she will help you into your dress and make sure it fits properly." The darker girl stood up in response, her head bowing slightly as she walked up to me.

"My lady, please follow me." Her voice was deep and thick with an accent that I had never heard before. She waved her hand in front of me, guiding me over to a dressing curtain in the far corner. Next to it was a wardrobe, one that the girl had walked up to and pulled it open, pulling out a gown. She hung the gown up from the edge of the fountain and I found myself staring at it.