Chapter 25: Illiana

Chapter 25: Illiana

Perhaps it was rude keeping my eyes away from Reginald, but I could not look at him. Not since the kiss. It, like so many other things, was nothing like I was expecting. None of it made any sense and that kiss was just another example.

It reminded of so many of the books that I had read, how the man would kiss the woman and claim her in front of the others. It was a sign of love and tradition, but it was real. Just like in the stories, the wedding was filled with people, the bride wore white, and the man would kiss her in front of others. That was what had happened and no one blinked an eye. It was like everyone had accepted that, accepted the way of life as it should be.

"Are you hungry, Illiana?" Reginald's voice whispered in my ear and I glanced over at him and then down at the untouched plate. I was not really hungry, not with the thousands of emotions and thoughts battling inside of me. No, I was not hungry and I doubt I could eat a thing. "You really should eat. Mother told me that you did not have much of a chance earlier." He actually sounded worried and, surprisingly, it was like I had expected it. He was always worrying about me, about us, and I could not understand why.

My hands lifted up, my fingers curling around the knife and fork as I mindlessly cut into the slice of ham. Many of the others were already done, talking amongst themselves. Even the others in the royal families were finished, all of them whispering and laughing amongst themselves on both side of Reginald and myself. No one seemed disturbed about the life I would be forced to life, no one seemed to hate it, rather that it was something that needed to be celebrated.

It did not take me long to finish eating, after all it was only a couple of bites. With my stomach rolling, I doubted that I could eat any more without getting sick.

"You really need to eat more, Illiana." Reginald muttered and I shook my head.

"I am not really that hungry." I responded and he sighed, pulling back slightly as his eyes turned to the audience, gazing over them.

"Then with your permission, we should continue to the ballroom." He suggested and I nodded. Staying here was not helping and, if I was lucky, the sooner the dancing part starts the sooner it will be over. Then again, I was not sure if I wanted it to be over. If I wanted to be alone with Reginald."

A small clang from a spoon hitting glass caught my attention as well as many of the others that had eaten with us. From the corner of my eye, I watched as Reginald stood, his chair scooting backwards as he turned his attention to the audience.

"I would like to thank each and every one of you for coming here and supporting this marriage. On behalf of my wife, Princess Illiana, and myself, I invite you all to make your way to ballroom across the hall where we will celebrate further." Sounds of scraping chairs and excited voices echoed in the halls as people made their way to the doors and across to the ballroom. A hand fell before me and I turned to see Reginald holding his hand out for me to grab. "If you allow me to escort you?" He stared down at me, not in anger or in hate, but in hope. As if he hoped that I would let him, but did he not understand? I could no longer fight him, I had to do what he wanted no matter the cost.

My hand drifted upwards, sliding into his hand as I stood from the chair, allowing myself to be led by him to the other room with the others following behind us.

The ballroom was still beautiful with its marble walls and its reflecting golden floor. The chandeliers spread light across the room, allowing all of us to see where we are and where others were. It was breathtaking and there was a small part of me that was just a little bit happy that, no matter how bad things got, at least there was some beauty here.