Chapter 28: Illiana

Chapter 28: Illiana

Pulling the blankets higher, I blocked the flickering light that danced in the distance. It was so warm underneath the blankets, I was so comfortable, I could not imagine getting out of bed.

Bed?

My eyes fluttered open and stared at the inside of the blankets, watching as light flickered from the other side. When had I got here? The last thing I remember I was in the library, sobbing.

Then I remembered Reginald, he came and held me.

Tears dotted the edge of my eyes as I remembered, feeling the warmth of his skin through his shirt. How did he know where to find me? And how did he know to come at the right time?

The book had brought me to tears, not that it was the first time a book had done so, but this one was different. This one, this book, was different. Princess Eva and Helena both said it was based on a real story. At first, there was a bit of me that was terrified and I did not want to read. But I needed to know.

If it was true, if it was really based off a real story, then I was wrong. I was wrong about everything. I was able to relate to Missy, the main character, in some ways. Though she, in a way, had it worse. Abused as a child from both her parents and then by her husband when she was forced into marriage, she expected the pain, anticipated it. Just like me. We had both accepted it, the abuse, the pain. It was a law of life. That was what we had both agreed on, both knew.

I remember wanting to put the book away on the first chapter. I could not handle it, I could not be told that it was true. I wanted to stop but I did not. I kept reading and then, she remarried. This marriage was to her Singer.

She was terrified and I was terrified for her. Why, why would anyone want to be married after what she had already gone through? Then again, it was not that surprising. She was forced to by her parents once more. She hated it and I did not blame her.

"Is she still asleep?" A soft voice questioned, interrupting my thoughts. I knew that one, it was Isabella. She sounded like she was on the other side of the room, talking to another.

"Yes. But you should go, it is late." A deep voice responded and I tensed, knowing exactly who. Reginald, he was here.

"Are you sure, your majesty?"

"I am, I will make sure she remains safe." He responded and I blinked in surprise. He really was so similar to the guy in the story. Everything he had said and done before and now.

But would he react the same? Would he be as accepting as the guy from the story? Would he understand that it was not my fault? Could he still care about me.

"Very well, my lord. I will be back in the morning." Isabella responded and I could hear her walk to the other side of the room. The door clicked closed and silence developed the room.

Was Reginald still here? Was he really going to watch me all night? To make sure I will be alright. I had to know, but I could not. I needed to. Slowly, my hand rose, grasping at the edge of the blanket and pulling it down while pushing myself up.

There he was. Sitting in the far side of the room, leaning backwards in the chair. He held a book in his hands, his eyes moving side to side as he read. Reginald made no move to show that he knew I was awake as he turned the page of what he was reading.

He looked so peaceful and calm as he read, and I almost found myself believing the story. Believing that the beatings were not a good thing.

"You are finally awake." His eyes drifted from the edge of the book and connected with mine, smiling softly at me as he stood and walked forward, the book held firmly in his hands.