Chapter 29: Reginald

In the end, I did not get all of the answers that I needed. She was still not ready to open up to me completely and I knew that. It was to be expected after everything she had gone through. Before this, I knew that I would have to be patient, I would have to prove to Illiana that she was safe here, with me. That would take time and a lot of it.

My gaze fell to her, studying her. Her eyes were closed and her breathing steady as she slept, her arms, now without scars, tucked underneath her head as she slept on her side. She was emotionally and mentally exhausted with everything that had happened today. Her sense of reality was destroyed, the facts that she believes to be true were now lies. It was now my job to show her what was really supposed to happen between a man and his wife.

I gently brushed the back of my finger across her cheek as I stared down at her. She pulled away, her head burrowing under the blankets and I smiled, laughing slightly as Illiana curled up in her slumber. It was time for me to leave, to allow her to sleep in peace and comfort even though all I wanted to do was lay next to her and hold her close.

One day, perhaps, I will have that chance. But that day is not today. Quietly, I turned on my heel and walked over to the door, slipping out into the hall and carefully closing the door behind me.

There was nothing that I could say to Illiana that could help her right now. She had a battle going on inside of her, a battle that I could never even imagine dealing with. I wanted to help her but I did not know how. I had never personally dealt with anyone who was abused who had suffered in such a horrid way. How could I even try to help her?

I walked over to the door of my room and entered before strolling towards the window. In this kingdom, there have only been a handful of instances where a woman or children were abused. They were generally sent to a family member to recover and regain their independence. At least, that was what happened with women.

Children were different. If the parent was seen unable to handle the children or if both parents were found guilty as abusers, then the children were taken away. They were usually put into the orphanage where they may or may not be adopted. Those people, the ones who take care of the children, were the only ones I knew that may be able to help me. Perhaps they could give me some advice on how to act around Illiana, to help her trust me.

This was something that I had to do, for the both of us. I had to learn what I needed to do so that she can recover. This could not wait for long.

It was late and that was the only reason that I was not going over there tonight. But in the morning, I will go. And if Illiana is willing, I would take her along so she could spend time with the children. I could not replace her siblings, but I had a feeling that being around other children would help her become more acquainted with her new home.

*

The red brick building towered over us as I landed in front of it. Perhaps we were a little late since it was in the afternoon, but I had little choice in the matter. A gentle tug on my shirt caused my gaze to drop down and stare at Illiana's hand as it clutched to me, wrinkling the front of my shirt.

The memory of her excited face when I had asked her to accompany me to the orphanage so that we could see the children and check on how they were doing swam in front of my eyes. She really loved children and I just knew that she would make an excellent mother, that is when she was not afraid of me harming them. It was because of her that I did not come early in the morning as she had her lessons with Helena once more. Because of that, I had agreed on waiting until after her lessons before going to the orphanage.

Her excitement changed when I told her, as we were getting ready to leave, that we were flying. I knew she was sore from her lessons and her wings were not strong enough to fly, but it was the quickest way to get here. It took a little while before I was able to convince her to allow me to carry her, to fly with her in my arms.