Chapter 26: Illiana

Chapter 26: Illiana

Last night was filled with even more confusion after the night had finished. Even in the stories that I had read, the man and the woman, once married,would sleep in the same room. In all honesty, I was terrified about that, about being alone in a room with him, but it did not happen.

He had walked me to the door, kissed my cheek, and said good night before retreating back to his room. Did he really know that I did not want to share the same room with him? Something just seemed so off around here, so different than what I was expecting, but now I did not know what to expect.

Is it not better to hold on to what you know? Hold on to the things that you believe to be true? Is it not better to do that than to throw yourself in a world you do not know with no idea of what will happen. What you know, that is what you need. But the reality does not make sense with it and I cannot understand.

A knock on the door surprised me as I whipped around and stared at it. Who was there? Was it someone that wanted me? Obviously, why else would anyone come to my room? The better question would be who was there?

It was still fairly early and it would be about the time that Reginald and the others would be heading down for breakfast. What if it was Reginald come to escort me down to eat? No that could not be it. A married woman was not to eat with her husband outside of special occasions, that was a fact, was it not?

The knock came again and I sighed loudly before walking forward, opening the door and revealing none other than Reginald. He smiled down at me, his hand held out for mine. "I figured I would walk with you down to breakfast."

Was I dreaming? No, I knew I was not. I woke up, I had been pacing the room back and forth for about an hour thinking. This could not be a dream.

"O-of course." I whispered, slipping my arm around his and allowing him to pull me out of the doorway. He pulled the door closed and the guided me along the hall towards the stairs.

This was actually happening. I was going to eat with him, even now that we are married. Father was wrong. He had to be. But what else was he wrong about? Or what if he was not wrong, but the culture here was different than it was back home? But then what was the culture? What was normal around here?

"How did you sleep?" His voice was calm and gentle, it was as if he was actually worried about me. Then again, I was beginning to think that it was no longer an if. That he actually cared. But if that was true, then was I not the one who was in the wrong? The one who was pushing him away for a reason that only existed in my head?

"I slept fine." I told him and he nodded, a relieved smile on his lips. My eyes studied his face, I could tell it had been through stress and had strengthened over time, much like the man behind it. But there was something else, exhaustion. He looked as if he had hardly slept at all even though he needed it.

"Is there something wrong?" He questioned and I could hear it in his voice, the lag of exhaustion. I shook my head and looked away, swallowing nervously, as I watched the walls slip by as we walked.

Why had he stay up do late? What was his purpose for such a thing that he would push himself so.

"Hm." He sighed as his other hand slid over the one that caressed his arm. "Illiana, if I may be so bold as to inquire what you are doing this afternoon after your lessons?"

"Nothing." I responded, tense with surprise. Why had he asked? Now that we were married, I am required to do what he demands of me. All he has to do is tell me and I would have to obey even if I did not want to. Then again, I was also surprised when I was told that I had to continue with my lessons even after marriage.