Chapter 14: Illiana

Chapter 14: Illiana

The light of the sun glared into my eyes as I turned my head to the window. The morning glare of the world outside bathed the cold walls and floor in a gentle golden color. Morning was one of my favorite times of the day, it was the only time that one could see the beginning light thrive so magnificently. It was the beginning of another day, even if the day did not end up being good.

My gaze shifted back towards the ceiling, staring at the gentle shadows that danced across, casted by the natural light.

What would happen today? What more would I end up going through before all of this was over? After all, I wanted it to be over, did I not? That this would all end and I would never have to face Prince Reginald any more.

A part of me felt empty at such an idea and I could not understand why. Or maybe I just did not want to admit to myself why. The main reason was because I was confused. I was confused about Reginald, his family, and the things that they said. I could not understand why he was the way he was, why his mother was so willing to marry off her son, or why his father seemed to love him.

None of this, and more, made sense to me and I wanted to know, to demand and answer. But I could not. At least not if Father were too find out about it. I could not let him do that to me or to anyone else. I had to do something find out about the truth so I could understand.

My door crashed open and I shoved myself off my bed, only to relax as I watched my younger siblings rush into my room. Lillian rushed forward and clamored onto my bed and into my arms.

"Well, hello, little one." I laughed, my arms tightening around her. "How are you today."

"Happy." She giggled, her arms tightening around my middle, her head buried into my chest. I giggled in response and stroked her hair. "Why are you so happy?"

"Because the strangers are gone." Allison interrupted as she sat on the edge of the bed, her hand reaching out to Lillian and her eyes staring at me. "Illy, will you tell us what they wanted with you? It's just, you spent so much time with them that we all missed you."

"They are gone?" I repeated, a mix of feelings inside of me. Relief because now I could not do anything that would result in my siblings' being punished but also sorrow. I had grown to kind of like Reginald even if I did not understand him. I wanted to get to know him, to find out who he really was. Perhaps it was for the best and now I could be free to go back to the way things were.

"Disappointed that you lost your friends?" Leo demanded and I turned and stared at him in surprise. When had he come in? I did not see him, but perhaps that was what he wanted. To not e seen?

"Oh, will you knock it off?" James shouted, his teenager frame standing tall beside me. "I'm sure Illy had a perfectly good reason for what she did!"

"Well, look like the whole bunch is here." A deep voice interrupted me as I attempted to speak. The others whipped around and I stared in horror as Father walked into the room, his eyes passing over each of us. "Our gets just left and you all start celebrating but you do not even know what happened."

Lillian cowered beside me and I patted her leg gently before pushing myself out of bed and walked in front of the others.

"I did what you said, Father." I stated, trying appear braver than I had actually felt. I needed to be strong, but I did not know how. Not now, not anymore.

"Better than I imagined you would." He admitted, his fingers drilling on his arm slowly as he walked forward, his cold eyes glaring at me. "Not only did they have no idea but one of them actually spoke for you! You, a pathetic, useless thing, actually ended up conning your way into getting married to a prince."