Part 59 - Red's Reveal

Red's heart was pounding so fast she wasn't so sure she'd stay conscious as she ran down the hall.

She muttered little apologies as she squirmed through the crowded corridor, her eyes scanning the numbers above the doors. 110, 111, 112... 113!

With a deep breath, Red approached the door; but before her hand reached the doorknob, something made her hesitate.

Eijirou was okay. That was all that mattered really, but now it was the moment of truth. Should she wait for him to recover first? What if he couldn't forgive her? Her eyes were glued to her hovering hand, frozen as fear kept her in place.

"What if she's upset with me?"

It was Kirishima's voice on the other side of the door, but it was colored with obvious exhaustion. He sounded weak.

"It wasn't your fault, Ei. Don't be stupid."

"So you think she'll forgive me?"

The other voice, definitely Dynamight's, scoffed at Eijirou. "For what? Standing up for the Underground? Yeah, dipshit, I think she'll forgive you."

Before she could doubt herself, Red threw open the door and stepped inside.

Eijirou was in the hospital bed, but he was sitting up and speaking with wide gestures as the doctor tried (and failed) to get him to lay back again. Thin tubes were taped into his arms and a large white bandage was wrapped around his forehead. On any other day, it would've looked like one of his sweatbands, but his pale complexion and the cast on his arm spoiled the illusion.

Her indestructible hero looked very, very weak. It felt so wrong to see Kirishima in hospital clothes. He was supposed to be big and strong and impossible to damage, but here he was, clearly worse for wear. It was heart wrenching.

When he noticed her stumble into the room, his entire face lit up and his eyes went big. "Red!" He croaked. Almost immediately he tried to climb from the bed, but Bakugou and the doctor both grabbed his shoulders to keep him in place.

He barely seemed to notice.

"Red, I wanted to tell you. More than anything, I wanted to tell you, but they told me—"

She didn't hear a word he was saying. Her body was moving without her knowing and her eyes stung as she stumbled towards him, collapsing in his arms and melting against his chest. Despite his injured state, Eijirou still wrapped her in the warmest, safest hug she'd ever known. The cast was rigid against her back, but his good arm kept her snug against him.

"I don't understand," he said softly, his voice faltering. "You're not mad?"

Red pulled back to look at him. His eyes were big with surprise and his brow pinched with worry.

Suddenly she remembered that there were two sets of eyes on them, so she sat up and readjusted her clothes to appear more composed. "Could we have a moment alone, please?"

The doctor grimaced. "I would love to, miss, but Kirishima has a tendency to try and exit the bed, and he—"

"I won't let him."

"With all due respect, he's quite strong, and—"

"He'll listen to me," she said gently. "Right, Eijirou?"

Kirishima nodded quickly at the doctor. "I'll behave, sir. Cross my heart." He moved to draw an X over his heart, then seemed to realize his dominant hand was in a cast and drew it with the other.

The doctor sighed in defeat. "Alright. A few minutes."

As the doctor walked out of the room, Katsuki locked eyes with Red. He stared for a few seconds before giving her a single, knowing nod.