Ch. 24

The next few minutes went by quickly, well I guess not for my brothers. You see I may have "forgotten" to mention the fact that the police officers that I had called also killed a large number of people and weren't going to be arresting anyone, well one person in the group is qualified to do so, but that's not why he's here today.

I had not even looked to see where the bullet may have gone, but instead chose to focus on keeping Patrick trapped on the ground. Patrick kicked out and wrestled with me as I tried to keep him pinned to the ground.

"Well isn't this an interesting site, I never thought I would see the day when the French don would be kidnapped by his own family." The American don speaks as he follows behind a large group of his men. He casually saunters into the building while looking around and directing his men.

"Can it Andreas," Stefano, my ex, says to his younger brother after stepping out behind him.

The two of them look around at the scene in front of them. I'm sure they could see Alessia's tears silently falling down her face or the worried look that Lucien had to balance between his girlfriend and the other mafia leader, who of which he didn't know was coming.

"Here, let me take care of him for you." Stefano approached me with his usual calm and collected demeanor. He was dressed in a black button-down shirt that was neatly tucked into a pair of black cargo pants. His outfit was completed with a pair of sturdy combat boots that added a touch of ruggedness to his overall look. "I can tell you have other things on your mind, one of which is behind you." I give Stefano a controlled nod and stand up from where I was kneeling over Patrick so Stefano t
Could take my place. He pulled him up by his shirt till Patrick was standing in an awkward enough position to where he could still move.

"Well, I'm going to go take him back to the car. We will drop him off at your-." Stefano pauses in the middle of his sentence as soon as his eyes wander behind me. "I'll go call an ambulance right now. Don't worry, they know discretion." I barely watch as he speeds away before I'm turning around to find where Aiden was. My eyes find him quickly, or rather I find Alexandre and my brothers all standing around him.

He was lying dead still on the ground covered with blood around his stomach. My own heart pummeled into my chest as I passed through where my brothers were standing and kneeled right next to Alenandre and Aiden's chest. 

"He'll be fine, right." I meant to ask that question to Alexandre, but I never went to look at him. My eyes stayed glued to where Aiden was. I slowly reached my hand out to touch his neck, hoping to feel a pulse.

My fingers traced along his neck under his jaw till I could feel the faint pulse from his carotid artery.

"Aiden's pulse is weak. He got shot in the chest, but I haven't turned him around to see if the bullet had exited his body." Alexandre looks at our brothers and I. "He needs to go to the hospital immediately."

"Already done." Andreas walks up behind Lucien wearing an outfit that was similar to his older twin's.

Lucien turns to look over at the other man. "Please find my question reasonable, but why are you here?"

Andreas's eyes find mine and he raises one of his dark eyebrows slightly in question.

I force myself to stand up and walk a few steps away from Aiden. "I called him and his brother here. I worried that something like this would happen."

"And you didn't think about telling us?" Lucien asks.

"Well it's too late now." I shrug, starting to hear the ambulance in the distance.

"Matheo, help me carry Aiden out." Alexandre asks as he grabs Aiden's shoulders and back and Matheo holds onto the feet. Together the pair carry Aiden's limb body to the front of the building.

I follow behind them closely while keeping my eyes glued to Aiden in case anything happens.

Alexandre and Matheo place Aiden onto a stretcher and I watch as the nurses work quickly to strap his body down.  I had stayed back a couple of feet so that I was still partly inside the building.

I felt numb, useless even, as I watched the scene play out in front of me. If I had been a few seconds faster Aiden wouldn't be in the hospital. He would have been fine.

"Hello sir," a short nurse says, walking up to me. "May I help with the bruises on your face."

"No, I'm fine. Thanks tho-."

"Cameron, go get an ice pack at least." Mylan says from behind me. His arms were crossed, and I knew that arguing him would prove futile.

"Just follow me over here." The nurse spins on her toes and walks over to an old looking wooden bench outside the building.

After I sat down on the bench, the nurse worked quick to clean off all the blood from my face. For the most part I had zoned out, just thinking about Aiden and how we were in the same position less than 24 hours ago. He was smiling at me with his caring eyes and he had made sure that my injuries were taken care of. I couldn't even do that for him.

The nurse must've understood that I wanted silence because she didn't say a word until she told me that she was done. I gave her a small thanks before she left leaving me to ponder on my thoughts once again.

He was probably at the hospital right now, in a big empty room with only himself. I should have gone, I need to go right now, I think, but before I can even fully stand up a voice cuts through my thoughts.

"You shouldn't drive in your condition."

"What are you talking about?" I say, looking over to where Alessia was seated. She was sitting right next to me and I didn't even notice her.

"You shouldn't drive over to see Aiden right now by yourself," she whispered.

"How did you get that assumption?"

"You have feelings for him and not in the, he's my best friend way. I could tell based on the way you were looking at him."

I freeze in place. Thoughts run wild through my brain and I think of all the possible scenarios of what could happen. "Will you tell anyone?" I mumble. I look over to see her solemn expression.

"I have no reason to, it's none of my business. Besides, I know how your world gets about these little things."

I decided that now would be the best time to switch the topic to something lighter. "So, how did you get out of my brother's view?"

"Oh you know, he was busy talking to." She pauses for a second trying to think of something. "I think his name was Andreas, and this other man, so I told him I would hang out with you instead."

A snort escapes me trying to come up with my brother's reaction to his girlfriend saying that she would rather hang out with me than him.

"I'm sure he was happy with that response."

Alessia laughs, "He'll be fine."

"