Ch. 11

I first noticed the warmth that left my body in a small trail. It didn't take much else to get me moving.

I roll out of Matheo's bed and walk to his closet to find something to wear. Once I find an athletic shirt and shorts, I quietly exit his room and walk down the stairs to the house's gym located in the house's basement.

The gym itself was limited to all the people living in the main house, so I didn't have to worry about one of my cousins walking in.

I am standing right outside the door when I can hear someone continuously hitting a punching bag.

That's weird, it's only 7 and Matheo, the only one in my family who works out in the morning besides me, is still snoring.

I slowly push the door to the gym open and there I see Aiden. His back is facing towards me as he steadily punches the bag.

I awkwardly move to the treadmill to start warming up, choosing to ignore Aiden's presence for both of our sakes.

I run.
And run.
And then run some more.
Continuing in a ceaseless loop for 30 minutes.

As I am turning off the treadmill, I feel a presence behind me. I choose to ignore it, knowing it's Aiden who wants to talk.

The treadmill is not a complete stop before I am thrown off it and onto the ground with Aiden on top of me.

"What the fuck," I yell, before I notice a small knife now under my chin. I kept my head still, as I tried to kick out with my feet.

Aiden's blue eyes are dimmed slightly due to the artificial lights, but nothing stops the small half smirk-half laugh that forces itself upon his lips.

At least his laugh is still as light sounding as when we were in high school. I was worried it may have changed like the rest of him as seemingly done.

His eyes stared down into mine creating a spark I had, for so many years, wished turned into an unstoppable fire that even the strongest of men couldn't take down.

"Now we're officially even," he smiles, creating that small dimple I wish I could just kiss. Shit I'm going crazy, a guy I previously liked holds a knife to my throat and I'm thinking about kissing him. I try to look somewhere else but then I end up back on his smile.

I also wish I could just smile like that, let the wind take all my fears away and just sleep peacefully in Aiden's warm embrace. But that is what I gave up six years ago and I know I can't go back to it. For his or my sake.

"Your pettiness is showing," I say, still laying flat on my back.

"You attacked me first, and then ignored me," he replies.

At this point Aiden had removed the knife from under my chin and was carelessly pinning me down. So in one quick motion I rolled us around so I was sitting on top.

"You sure like using that move a lot," Aiden says as he tries to get comfortable in his new position.

"Yeah well you like pinning me down a lot," I reply sarcastically.

"I guess I'm gonna have to find a way to counter attack because..." he trails off, grabbing my waist with his hands and pulling me down, so his lips are next to my ear. "I'm going to pin you down a lot and make sure you enjoy every single second of it."

Butterflies flutter around my stomach, and I have to bite my cheek hard to keep the color from rising into my face. I push him away from me and he lets my waist slide through his fingers before he pulls back.

"I still don't know how you are here, please don't tell me you're working as a doctor?!" I question.

"No, not a doctor. I'm actually the right hand man."