Ch. 3

"Hello, my name is Luke Hayes and I am your new roommate," I say in perfect English. My English teacher would be so proud, especially with how much whining she does at me being supposedly asleep in her class. I just want to rest my eyes.

"Hey roommate," says a boy about my age, who was about a second ago, laying on his bed with his phone. Now he was walking towards me. He had short brown hair and brown eyes and was about an inch taller than me.

"Do you need any help with your bags?" He says pushing his phone in the blue school hoodie he was wearing. I guess he was just hanging out in his room today considering the yellow sweats he was also wearing.

"Umm," I say, looking at the blue duffel bag resting on my suitcase. "Can you take this duffel bag and put it on my bed," I say, pulling it off my suitcase and giving it to him. In doing so I saw a few freckles scattered around and on his nose.

"Jesus," he says walking to the unmade bed opposite of his. "Did you pack your entire life in here?" He meant for it to be a joke, but it only reminded me of what I had left behind.

"Shit man, it was suppose to be a joke. I'm sorry."

"You're fine, what's your name, I hope you don't have some weird American name. I mean who names their kid Apple?!" I say switching the topic.

"It's Elliot. I like your accent. Is it French?"

"Yes," I say, cutting the conversation short so I could focus on unpacking. The room itself was basic. It had light gray walls and two metal beds on each side. Next to the beds were two deep brown colored nightstands. At the posts of both beds were desks and a few feet back next to the door were two small closets which were the same color as the nightstands. The room did have one natural source of light in between the beds that over looked a small pond.

My side will continue the same bland style the room has with my beige sheets and black appliances, but Elliot went for a more happy style with light yellow sheets and neon blue appliances. Even at night if I look to my right, I will still be blinded by a neon blue lava lamp sitting on his desk.

————————

"Hey, I'm going to go get some dinner. Do you want to come?"

I roll around in my newly made bed to look at Elliot who is now putting on his sneakers. I had finished packing just a few minutes ago, and now I was looking to close my eyes for the rest of the year.

"No thanks, I am pretty jetlagged, so I'm gonna head to bed early."

"Ok then," Elliot says, walking towards the door, "I'll see you later."

Once I hear the door close behind him I close my eyes and try not to worry about what will happen tomorrow.

————————

Even though I'm not fully awake, my body always is. I don't know how to shut it off and I've never had a reason to till I got here.

As I was asleep I noticed a presence come in closer and closer to my bed. In fear of the unknown once the person grabbed onto my shoulder I was immediately aroused from sleep. I grabbed their arm and twisted them under me. I hear the sound of glass breaking and I look to see who was trying to hurt me.

Under me, with wide brown eyes filled with tears who was flailing his body aimlessly trying to get away from me was my roommate, Elliot.

I immediately rolloff him and push myself back by a few feet, giving him space to get off my bed in a hurry.

"Shit I am so sorry Elliot, it's just a natural reaction," I say, trying to come up with a reasonable excuse for putting my roommate in a headlock. Oh my god, he is going to hate me. I can't keep acting like this, I am not in the underground anymore. I need to change.

"The hell you mean a natural reaction, now I- oww," Elliot whines, making me jump up from my bed and walk over to him. I need to change.

"Are you ok?" I ask innocently, trying to replicate some of the kids at my old school.

"Yes, it's just a small piece of glass in my foot." I look down at the ground and see a shattered plate and a small chocolate chip cookie next to the glass pieces.

"I'm sorry, you were just trying to give me I cookie and I freaked out," I cry, letting some tears fall from my eyes.

"Hey, hey, it's fine. I just need to get this looked at," Elliot says softy, resting his hand on my shoulder, all of his previous anger was gone. It's working, I'm going to make my first friend here.

"Let me see," I say, going to grab my first aid kit from under my bed.

"Alexandre, it hurts," I say with tears in my eyes.

"Cam," my 16 year old brother says. "You shouldn't have been using a real knife till dad told you so."

"But Matheo gets to use one and he's only 13."

"That's 2 years older than you. If you cut your hand off you won't be able to do anything. Here you go," Alexandre says, wrapping my arm up. "It shouldn't leave a scar, but you better start using the rubber knives or I will tell dad myself."

"Fineee. Stupid brother," I mumble.

"What was that Cam?" Alexandre says chasing after me.

"Lucien," I say, spotting him in the hallway. He is 18 this year and is going to go to college to study business.

"Yes, little one," Lucien says, bending down to my level to pick me up.

"You have to help me run from Alexandre, he is after me."

"And why is that?"

"Lucien, don't ask questions, he is coming."

"Ok then, let's go."

As Lucien is walking away I stick my tongue out at Alexandre.

"There you go, all cleaned up," I smile, so wide I'm surprised he hasn't called me out for the fib.

"Wow, nicely done. Do you want to be a doctor?" Elliot questions.

"No," I say walking back to my bed. "My older brother and my best friend do though so I grew up around knowing how to take care of myself if I'm injured. I am going to go find a broom to clean up this glass."

"Oh, I have one. Just give me a minute to find it."

"Ok."

I've done it, now I just need to change permanently.