Ch. 7

From the moment I stepped out of the taxi, a half mile away from the forest leading to my house, my stomach filled with dread at the thought of seeing my siblings again.

They probably hate me, especially knowing only what Dad told them. For them, they just woke up and found out I was missing. No note, or letter, or anything. I should have just stayed in America, it would have been easier for everyone that way.

No, someone is trying to kill my brothers and I may be the only one who knows.

I walked through the trees rather than on the road so that every car passing by didn't see me.  I didn't want everyone seeing me, a boy who is supposed to be dead, walking around. I am trying to blend in with the crowd, so I wore a black suit designed specially with secret pockets inside the jacket and sleeves for two throwing knives and one gun. I am also wearing a black fedora hat perfect for covering my green eyes.

At the gate, guards were body searching and checking in the guests. I wait for a group of 7 black cars to pull up and blend myself in with all the guests getting out of the cars.

"Sir, may I see your invitation," says one of the guards. Are you kidding me?! Of course, dad didn't give me an invitation. He's still trying to keep me on my toes.

"Tsk," I mumble under my breath. My eyes scan around under the hat, checking to make sure all the other guards are busy with the other guests.

"Look here," I say, raising my head slightly so he can see my family's green eyes while holding a knife an inch from his stomach.

"Your-"

"Alive," I cut him off in a monotone voice not even having to guess what he was trying to say. "Yes, and if you say even a single word, I will shove this knife right through your throat," I threaten. "After all, that is what us assassins like to do."

It doesn't matter that I haven't killed anyone in 6 years. In the mafia, that fear equals power and I intend to use it as long as I can.

I ignore the guard's wide eyes and walk past him into the crowd of people here for the funeral.

For the funeral, giant white tents and chairs were set up. The chairs were in rows of 10 on both sides leaving a small gap in between acting as an aisle.

"God, what the hell is wrong with my brother. Having a giant party wouldn't bring him back to life," my aunt sneers. Behind her, walking through the gate were my cousins and uncle. I was standing at one of those tall tables a few feet from them.

"He always did like to throw big parties," my uncle says, holding his wife close to his chest.

"Why don't you two go find your cousins, I'm sure this isn't easy for them," my aunt says, turning around to her two sons, Louis and Pierre. Louis was one year older than me and Pierre was Alexandre's age.

Louis used to be an inch taller than me but scrawnier, giving us an even playing field whenever we got into fights. Now he was the same height as me, but had a heavier build. Pierre on the other hand had a slightly less build then Louis, but was 6 inches taller leaving him at 6 '5.

"Ok," they both say, walking away from their parents, taking the girls' eyes with them.

My aunt and uncle continue walking to the seats and find four in the front row.

"Did you hear? The new don doesn't have an heir yet." Two young women in modest black dresses and hats gossip to the right of me.

"Some say he is still messing around in bed with different women."

I internally laugh at that one. Lucien would never do that, he walks around anything mafia related with a stick up his ass. He also says that one night stands are annoying and the woman always tries to take more after it, thinking she is someone special after hooking up with a millionaire.