Ch. 19

I spent the next few hours of the day cooped up in my room, trying to avoid any slip-ups that could potentially jeopardize my mission even more than I had already seemed to do.

I sat on my bed and went over the bits of information that I had gathered over the past few days, trying to make sense of it all. However, after a while, I began to feel restless and in need of a change of scenery. That's when I decided to make my way to Lucien's office, hoping to take another look at the document Dad made.

I walk up to Lucien's office and knock on the door waiting for a response telling me that he is by himself.

"Come in." I rapidly open the door and close it shut behind me. No one would just walk into Lucien's office unless they wanted to get shot so I was safe here.

"What's wrong Cameron?" Lucien was engrossed in a document, not looking up as he turned the page.

"I would like to see Dad's doc again." I walk over to the familiar chair and sit down waiting for his response.

Only then did he finally look up from the document he was engrossed in and acknowledge my presence. "Why didn't you just hack into it yourself like you did when you broke it?"

I suppress the flush creeping up my neck. "Do all our brothers know about that?" I ask, ignoring his question.

Lucien emitted a soft laugh. "The rest of our brothers found it fitting since you were trained by Dad to be the mafia's assassin.'' Lucien sighs. "But now you're a hacker."

"Cyber security."

"Wow, how is that what they are calling it now to make it seem more noble." Lucien says sarcastically. He looks back at me and turns in his seat opening his arms to me. "Come here."

I look at my brother and then the 1,000-year-old chair he is sitting on.

"That would break the chair, Lucien."

Lucien now looks down at the expensive leather chair. "Oh well," he shrugs. "It needs to be replaced anyway."

I roll my eyes and walk over to the front of his desk. "You always did like to be a different, freaking revolutionist."

"You know I am taking that as a compliment."

"Whatever." I look Lucien in the eyes remembering a question I had for him. "Who was that girl at the party you were talking to and dancing with?"

Lucien regards my question for a moment tapping his fingers on the desk. "That is my girlfriend and soon-to-be fiancé, I hope. She has been invited to dinner tomorrow so you can meet her then." As Lucien started talking about her I noticed a small smile form on his face showing me all I needed to know about her. If she made my brother happy then that was all I needed to know that she was good for him.

"What's her name?"

"Her name is Alessia."

Knock, knock.

"Don, your aunt, uncle, and cousins want to talk to your brothers and you over dinner." Aiden's voice echoes past the door blocking him.

"Tell them that we will be there in a few minutes," Lucien says in a stern voice as he starts to stand up behind the desk. His smile had been wiped clean off his face.

Lucien walks past me to the door. "I will assume that you wouldn't show your face to them even if I asked."

My hands form fists that are so tight my fingernails start to draw blood. I think back to this morning where I am standing in front of Louis's shocked face as I threaten him.

I can't afford for anyone else to know about me.

"No." That is the only response I give before Lucien is opening and closing the door behind him, leaving me in the dust. I can hear the sound of his footsteps fading away as I stare down at my toes. Now I am left alone in the office, with only the silence to accompany my thoughts. The room around me is still. The air feels heavy and stagnant as if it is holding onto some secret that I can't quite grasp. Despite the peacefulness of my surroundings, my mind is racing with questions and doubts.

I push the thoughts from my mind once more and look over the document that I had already memorized once before.

————————

Each step I take is a quietly calculated movement guiding me closer and closer back to my room. One wrong move is all it takes for my tower of cards to come crashing down.

Before I could even hear the murmurs I feel their presences.

"You're serious!" Asks the older woman's voice, making my stomach fall.

"Of course I am! He is alive. He even walked me to the hotel when I first got here. He is so sweet." Mia answers in a sweet tone to my aunt. Why can't anyone keep their mouths shut around here?! My hands find their way around my body, and I squeeze myself tightly trying to make sure this isn't a dream. I should have told her to keep her mouth shut as well.

"Do you know if I can see him or where to find him? I would love to be able to talk to him again!" My aunt asks.

I sneak a look around the corner of which I was standing. Both my aunt and Mia stood in knee length dresses and heels. Since my brothers constantly had people coming in and out of the house, they always stayed in their suits or work attire till they either knew they were done with work or going to bed. Others in the house try not to change the status quo and  do the same.

"I'm sure Lucien would let you. Just ask him in private."

"You're right, I will ask Lucien in his office. Well now that this has been discussed, I'm gonna go back to the dining room. Will you join me?"

"Sorry, but I have to go to the restroom first, but I will be back in a few." Mia replied.

"Oh yes, sorry love. I'm assuming you were on your way before I stopped you. I will see you in a few minutes then." Once I heard the clicking of heels I knew I was safe to continue walking.