Ch. 10

Lucien's eyes scanned over the letter, his face stone cold and serious. My other brothers had gathered around Lucien hoping to catch a glimpse of the decoded message.

"He knew your location?!" Lucien had now turned to look at me. I knew he would question how I came to be with the letter. My brothers also turn to better hear my answer.

"Yes, he helped me get a new identity," I state, cutting my answer off sharply so they don't know anymore than they need to.

Lucien looks to me out of the corner of his eye, probably noticing my slight change in attitude. Still, I ignore the look he's giving me. It will be better for everyone.

"That old man played us like the gosh-damn fiddle!" Matheo shouts. "He was like 'I wonder where my son is' to us and then was sending letters to him like a normal Saturday night," Matheo says, his voice bitter.

"Hey now, don't speak ill about a dead man. Especially our father, I'm sure he had a reason," Lucien scolds, as Mylan walks over to his twin and puts his hand on his shoulder.

Alexandre, who had been quiet up until now, spoke up. "What's going to happen now?" he asked.

Lucien sighs while looking at the twins, one was shaking with rage and the other trying to comfort him.

"We can deal with this in the morning. We all need sleep," he says, promptly cutting off this conversation till morning.

"Well if that's all, I'm heading out." I'm not staying in this house any longer than needed. I just need to follow my mission and by the end of the week I will be back in America.

I start to walk to the door till Mylan's voice drags me back.

"Do you want to just sleep here? You still have a room, if you don't want to pay for a hotel."

"It's fine," I say, giving one possible reason why I can't stay here. "I don't want all our relatives to know I am here and alive." 

"Well you're in luck because all our relatives are in a different house. The only other person is our right hand, but I'm sure he won't bother you." Oh how lucky I am.

"Yes," I say, quickly searching through my head for another reason. "But I also don't have..."

"Clothes," Mylan injects, cutting off my excuse. "Don't worry you can share with Matheo and I." Mylan smiles knowing he just cut off my last chance at leaving tonight. "Now that I don't see any other problems, Matheo will go get pajamas for you," Mylan says.

I hesitate giving my response. I can't stay in this house. It wouldn't be good for anyone, especially me, but it seems like I really don't have a choice anymore. Mylan has made that clear. He was always ready to win any debate.

"Are you going to follow me or just stand there all night?" Matheo says breaking me out of my thoughts.

I look around the living room and see that it's only Matheo and I left. Everyone else must've gone to bed.

I follow Matheo to his room on the second floor watch as he sorts through his closet for something I can wear.

"Here you go." Matheo hands me one of his blue hoodies and a pair of sweatpants that may be a little long due to our size difference.

"Thanks." I start to walk to the door, till I hear Matheo practically yell, "WAIT!"

I freeze mid step and spin around to look at him wondering what was wrong.

His arm was somewhat outstretched for a moment before he threw it back down to his side.

"Um," he starts. "I'm sorry for what I said earlier about how I wish I didn't help you sneak out for that party. Well, I guess I did mean it, but that's not the point," he adds. "I'm sorry for yelling at you and I'm ha... Ugh that's really cheesy of me. Do you want to watch a movie with me?" Matheo's eyes wander around the room as he waits for my reply.

"Sure," I replied curtly. I needed something to do anyway, since some of my adrenaline hadn't faded away yet.

While Matheo finds a movie we can watch, I head to his bathroom and change out of my black attire. After I change, I leave all of my knives and guns on Matheo's desk.

"Is The Godfather ok for you," Matheo asks from the couch in front of his TV. He was wrapped in a fuzzy blanket from his bed.

"Sure, I don't mind."

I sit down on the couch a few feet away from Matheo leaning on the arm rest.

I hear a light sigh from next to me. "Your not going to be comfortable like that after a long period of time."

"I am fine and plenty comfortable."

"Sure you are." Matheo reaches behind the couch and before I know it a giant ball shaped object comes flying at me.

Of course I am able to catch it, but that doesn't stop the object, also known as a blanket, from draping on top of me.

As I am messing around with the blanket trying to get comfortable again, I almost miss the words Matheo mumbles out. "If you don't want my blanket, you need your own."

As we both settled back into the couch to watch the movie, I felt my drifting off to sleep against my will. As I fought with my conscious I didn't notice when my older brother had picked me up and placed me on his bed. The same thing we used to do as children.

.............................

AN: Hello readers, I hope this chapter lives up to your expectations. As I move further along into this story I notice how I have to keep rereading previous chapters to remember certain details, because of that, I worry that the story isn't flowing as nicely as I would like it to. So, after I finish this story's "rough draft" I will be spending more time reworking some of the wording and storyline so that if you choose to re-read it in the future, it'll make a bit more sense. For now, that's all. Thanks for reading.