Chapter 3

Waking up groggy in the morning, I noticed my bed feels... different. It doesn't smell like the Illinoisian forest but more like it smells of dust and cheap wall varnish.

Then, I remembered that I'm no longer home. No Amanda to wake me up, no more roosters that cackle-doodle-doo in the break of dawn, no more sounds of chickens, no peaceful nature breeze but city noise and here out in the free country of America. Out of my own comfort zone, not that I do have one but you get what I mean.

Getting myself up in bed, I stretched and yawned as I chase away the last traces of sleep from my body and headed towards the shower. I took off my clothes and placed it in the hamper as I turned on the shower.

I hummed out the tune of " Roses " by Chainsmokers ft. Rozes as i took out my towel, my shampoo and one of the home- made honey mint bar soap Amanda placed in for me. She knew I loved the soap she made.

I placed the towel in the rack as I reached out my hand as the cold water hits my skin. I smiled. Nothing could be better than to fully wake up after a good cold shower.

~~~~

After my shower, I started to pick out the clothes I packed from my duffel bag to choose which type of outfit would be better for a job application. And unfortunately, I don't have the smancy fancy type of skirts and blouses those rich women wore to land successfully in a job interview . Never wore them and never liked them either.

So, I picked up my white polo shirt which I usually use in my formal Sundays, a pair of comfy skinny jeans and paired it with white sneakers. I take a look in the mirror and I looked plain but I'm gonna wing it and look presentable. I didn't bother with make-up because I don't know how to apply one and the fact I don't like putting stuff on my face that makes me look like a clown. Like I said, I never applied make-up before.

Looking in the mirror once again, I decided to let my dark chestnut hair down than tie it up. I combed it to tame it down a little and left the rest to dry on their own. I like it when my hair gets a little wild. Makes me look me.

Satisfied with my appearance and a new bright attitude, I am confident enough that I am able to land a job successfully yet hopefully. I went to my room to get my papers needed for a job application and picked up the newspaper from the small cabinet.

I checked the newspaper to head to which place for the job I needed and where to be interviewed. I decided I'll start from the ones i encircled in top right then move on to the other ones if I fail or get rejected. I was about to head outside when my stomach growled. Yip, I forgot to eat breakfast..
I scavenge inside my duffel bag and found the packed sandwiches I bought in the airport which costs a lot more than the regular packed sandwiches you would find in stores. But it's my choice and my money so I made the choice and start to eat my breakfast while I continue eating it till I reached my destination with an -s.

~~~~

Walking down an alleyway, I was disappointed and in low spirits already. My first interview went to downfall when they asked me if I had brought my college diploma with me or any 4-year course certificate I attended. I shook my head and before I could, maybe, reason with them that I am a good employee and a fast learner, they immediately dismissed me and proceeded to the other applicants. This continued for another 3 more job interviews until I gave up and went home to rest or atleast go to a minimart to buy myself a cheap dinner. I'll just try the other job applications tomorrow and hopefully be successful in landing one.

To answer the question those interviewers asked me where are my college degree papers or my diploma, I don't have any. I managed to finish my K-12 but never made it to college since Greg threatened me that if Amanda sends me to college using their money, he will beat her up every night of every single day I go to college to attend and study in college.
So, I didn't take my chances in letting Amanda suffer more beatings and started to work in a small cafe back in Illinois, hoping that Greg would stop beating Amanda if I continue to give him the money I earned to him.