-Chapter 27- The Little Things - Louis' P.O.V.

It had to be three in the morning. Every time I blinked it took more energy than before to peel my eyes back open. I had curled up to Shelby's motionless body, I hadn't moved much myself in the last five days. They still hadn't caught those two twats that'd hurt my Bel...and I wasn't about to idly go home like there wasn't a chance they'd come back. Which is why I hadn't slept in two days.

It was getting harder to stay awake, sucking every ounce of energy from the nap I took on Tuesday. What was it...Friday? And Bel still hadn't moved a muscle.

I carefully snaked my arm under the tube to her respirator and stroked her cheek with my thumb. I inched closer, groaning under my breath because I simply didn't have the energy to spend. I nuzzled my head into the crook of her neck wrapping my arm around her neck gently. The hospital stay had drained even the slightest remnant of her perfume, her smell, but being so close to her felt positively lovely. I'd missed it, falling asleep with her in my arms, cuddled to my chest. This was far from it, hell she couldn't move, and I wasn't allowed to sleep commando in a hospital, or even change without running the risk of these crazy girls catching a picture of me with my trousers down.

Being incredibly careful of disturbing the various mechanisms keeping Bel alive, I lifted her head just enough to tuck my arm beneath her head on the pillow. At first she rested completely still in the hollow of my elbow; then she moved. It wasn't just a twitch. She full on rolled over and curled up to me. Was I dreaming?! Was this fucking happening?!

Her breath tickled my collar bone, warm but thin. I don't care if it's a dream. I wrapped my free arm around her shoulders and held her to me, dipping my head so that the bridge of my nose pressed softly on hers.

A single tear escaped my eye and I let it fall. I wasn't afraid anymore. She was coming back to me.