-Prologue- An Encounter of the One Direction Kind -

It was nice to just hang out with the boys, Louis had sort of shielded me from them getting hyped altogether. They're just being guys, its not like they'll hurt me. Or anything less than my ear drums.

Still I was confined to his side, which wasn't worth complaining about when he sat there chill as ever.

There was Shalice, who I call Wily Cat with her...excited demeanor. Zayn was good at mellowing her out, usually, but he was really lax on his second corona.

Niall was the only one who hadn't really settled in a relationship. He tempted me a few times before, but it never went far. Irish or not, although I admit I love his accent.

Harry and Liam were in relationships, really deep, but Louis told me Liam just found love in his new turtle. I'd met Harry's girlfriend and wasn't quite fond. I wouldn't tell anyone but Louis though. He laughed but kept it to himself.

This predicament we managed to weasel into had taken its toll on me. It wasn't even late but I felt bone tired. But my lucky butt can't sleep in moving vehicles or with all this noise. Louis noticed I looked exhausted and tried to make me laugh and regain energy. I could only faintly smile and resist falling over onto the floor.

"You falling asleep, Shelby?" I nodded in Zayn's direction, eyes closed. My eyelids felt heavy.

"You're usually the last one to tucker out. Up late?" Niall chided from the steps to the beds.

"What were you two doing, eh?" Harry must've eyed Louis, because he shook his head.

"No one lost their virginity last night."

"Last night?" Niall repeated, the rest of our company now in on this little comment.

"This band is the cause of my loss of innocence, and it's not just Louis." Niall's laugh was punctual, loudest of everyone's, as usual. Someone couldn't stop clapping. Louis shot me a good-natured glance when I yawned and tried to curl up on the couch cushion.

"You act like we fought or something you're not in trouble." His breath brushed my ear, words warm.

"What do you mean?" My voice was simply soft because I was on the bridge of dropping down and taking a long snooze.

"You're usually curled in my lap it's not banned."

"Who said it was?" I murmured. It hadn't been intentional. But he looked content sitting by himself. I didn't want to disturb anyone. Liam leaned over on my right, laughing to himself for interrupting and Louis' unamused expression.

"What secrets are we talking about?"

"Spoons, Liam." Louis smirked slyly.

"Just talking, Lee. Nothing exciting." I shook my head at Louis' slightly rude remark. Liam gave me a cheeky smile.

"Then I can sit here?"

"Doesn't bother me any." I returned the favor of a happy face, scooting slightly to Louis' side, giving Liam more room to sit. Louis didn't seem as happy about it, as if Liam had intervened in anything meaningful. He's been odd since I told him, possessive almost. He glowered at the floor.

Liam was more of a talker and dancer at parties than a drunkard. He was a nice person to have a conversation with, left you feeling refreshed if you had a headache and was good at picking you up off a bad day. Lou was the best at it my opinion, but Liam wasn't far behind.

I really tried to keep up with what he was saying, but I think he realized I was a little on the slow side with tire and quieted down, only talking briefly and ending with an amused smile when scrambled to respond from fragments of what he'd said.

"We'll be getting to the hotel any time now, if that's any reassurance."

"Huh? Oh, I'm fine, really. Just blanking out really bad..."

"I'm not even Tommo and I know you would rather be asleep."

"Wouldn't we all?" He shrugged, and stared talking to Harry. I sighed and suppressed a yawn into my chest. Louis reached over, pulling me over to lie on his chest, and I'll tell you this; I've never been more thankful for it. I practically fell on him, eyes glazing over, and drifting off somewhere else.