-Chapter 8- The Morning After Pill -

* * *

-Chapter 8-

I'd never had such a bad headache in my life. Everything was blurry and made no sense, I couldn't comprehend what the doctors were saying. My ears never quit ringing. I saw people come in and out trying to talk to me, but I could only get smudged images, like trying to read a book that had gotten a little too wet. I knew they were talking to me, but I couldn't make so much as differentiate between two people. Sometimes someone would come in and hold my hand, I think. They never spoke, just watched, like they were patiently waiting for me to get back on track. They were in there the most, and I swear they'd sing to me and I'd fall asleep, like my brain heard a lullaby and was content enough to rest. Sleep was my only escape from the extreme pain. But even then it didn't last long to me. Never long enough.

Today was different.

I woke up and it was dark, but my eyes were sharp. The continuous wail had been reduced to a little bit of noise, easily overlooked.

I moved around a bit; the room was only slightly different than the first one, but then again I didn't get a good look at the other one. And again, a shape curled up in a chair. I was courageous this time.

"Louis?" I called to it. It moved in the slightest, like it was looking over. "Louis!" I said harshly, barely a whisper. It moved much more drastically this time, scrambling to my bedside.

"Button?"

"What happened?" He laughed, such a nervous noise that it was. He stroked my cheek, holding my face like he did the first time.

"You're okay...thank God you're okay..."

"Louis! What happened?!"

"You're in Recovery, you just had neurosurgery, oh button..."

"Is the baby alright?" My voice was thin with worry.

"Fine, fine button. They did an ultrasound before and after. It's a boy, button, we're having a boy." Our faces were so close, it was reassuring after the latest events. But I couldn't stop crying.

"It's a boy, Louis, we're gonna be okay, like you promised."

"I told you, button. And look at us." We were a big ball of happiness, and so irrational I think we blew our brains out. Time slipped by like droplets in a waterfall, and the doctors rejoiced at a successful operation.

They had to shave the back of my head, but just a little bit, unnoticeable unless you really stared. Guess that's just were technology is, laser surgery and magical crap. Louis had one of his beanies on me, simply because the bandages bothered him. I didn't mind when he urged me to borrow his stuff. Those hospital gowns were...overused. His sweaters were my favorite, probably because they were just too big for me.

Wily and Zayn came to see me, which I appreciated Wily not fretting. Louis was so funny, barely allowing anything without doctor's approval, and even though she knew I was pregnant, and I'm sure it was obvious, she let me make my own choices.

I remembered and couldn't recall some things, still. Louis said I'd drastically improved, but I still felt as dumb as rocks sometimes. But I remembered losing my virginity. That was one of my precious memories. Ah, idiocy caught in the act of simple pleasure. Why are humans so easily manipulated? I remember how I got pregnant, too, and nicknames. And what annoyed Zayn, but only because I did it first on accident. He got mad and claimed I did on purpose. Louis defended me, but him laughing as he did so didn't help my case.

They got on my nerves, too. I'm not sure if they made the noises behind the curtain on purpose to bother me or not, but might as well have. I have a pet peeve for people making out so I can hear their lips smacking. Drives me nuts. And I'm pretty sure Zayn was feeling up on my best friend and I did NOT approve of this action. Not that I had a problem with Zayn, just...God I sound like a mother. Louis said I was getting more and more normal with every person I kept in line, 'just like a mama bird'.

He was glad to see me being myself more often, and was eager to please. I could tell him to apply himself to any of my whims and he'd do it facetiously, better than expected. I tried not to take advantage, but some opportunities were too sweet to pass up. Wily tried it with Zayn and he just looked at her. Didn't move, didn't speak. Just slowly raised an eyebrow.

I got woozy easily, and often took short walks to get food or a cold drink and lay back down. Louis and Wily took shifts on schedules, like walking me to get lunch. Louis liked me to walk and be on my feet, and going outside was a bonus. He absolutely loved taking me outside. He got permission to take me to the beach, with a doctor present. I found amusement in hot sand and moats around castles he'd make, but wanted nothing to do with the water, other than the wet towel Lou would put over my shoulders if I got too hot.

Wily and Zayn absorbed this opportunity to its fullest potential, for them, anyhow. Wily tried sunbathing, surfing, making out with Zayn some more, and putting our castle at war with hers and Zayn's. It was fun to toss little pebbles and shells until I got hit in the knuckle and retired from castle repairs.

Liam came down to see me, and a lovely conversation we had. He told me all the research he'd done on neurosurgery and what he had of a possible new single. He told me he'd have brought Bubbles if he'd flown in on better airlines. I assured him it was fine and to just send pictures.

Lou was funny. Whenever Wily would take me out, the doctors understanding I was bored of the hospital, he'd either clean the room or get me some sort of present, from new sweaters to a blanket. I agree, it was really soft. Then wouldn't let go of me until noon the next day. It was adorable to watch him and Wily Cat argue about who was supposed to be my 'overseer' that day. Wily would take me around on walks and we'd talk like girls all day. Lou was incredibly jealous even if it was just a minute. But what he'd do was take me outside, and let me sit in a little park, nice and warm and breezy. I'd contently sit and just look at the clouds, but Louis found entertainment elsewhere, away from swarming fans. We had security with us but I wasn't a fan, so, Louis only had them looking out for violence. They'd leave us alone after a while, and a straggler would talk to Louis, which bothered me none.

It'd been Wily's turn today, and exploring the hospital a little more than usual. It was nice to get around a bit, and feeling contently sore I retired to laying down and watching a movie with everyone.

No one was in the bed next to mine, so Wily and Zayn camped out on that one and Louis would either sleep in the chair or on the bed with me. Usually he'd sling an arm over my shoulders and hold my hand with the other. Wily and Zayn, however, were curled together in a way one could call intimately. And the oddity of it was how comfortable they were about it. I disregarded it and ignored them, more adamant on falling asleep on Lou. He played with a strand of my hair but was fixated on the movie. I couldn't even tell you what we were watching. My consciousness faded, wrapped in a blanket and with a Louis as my pillow.