-Chapter 12- Sleep can be the Best Medicine -

"Alright button just breathe in deeply...-"

"She won't be able to regulate her breathing when she's pushing out a kid." I locked my jaw, glaring at the floor and crossing my arms.

"I think you'd be amazed at how much control Shelby has under stress. Back to it then, Bel?" I did the exercises that were supposedly helpful, trying to ignore the bitter creature in my kitchen. I heaved myself onto the couch, exhausted from the pathetic amount of sleep I've been getting and laid on my back, trying to go through the varieties of techniques so I'd know mine when the time came. It was sweet of Lou to try and learn the breaths with me, but I just wanted him to focus on getting his spiteful mother out of here. My house. MY sanctuary. I was pregnant, jeez!

"Can you breathe quieter? I'm trying to do the crossword in the paper." I grit my teeth and scowled. Louis caught my death-glare and stroked my hair, trying to soothe my anger.

"She's just doing what she's supposed to to help her. Bel, why don't you go lay down in our room, yeah? I'll talk to Mum." He gently kissed my temple, helping me to my feet to hobble to the bedroom.

Our room was almost always dark and cool. I couldn't sleep in any other sort. I loved bundling up in the blankets and having nothing to see with your eyes wide-open. And I had no problem curling up under the blankets and trying to nap. Put on some music to drown out the noise from Louis arguing with his mother. I was content.

Until they brought their screaming fest into my room. Louis kept trying to coax her out, he really was. She just yelled LOUDER. I tried putting a pillow over my head, turning up the music to full blast, and just flat out leaving the room. But she was FOLLOWING ME.

Bitch.

So I walked outside and sat in the back of her car and locked it. She yelled at me to get out of the car a few times before Louis kept giving me thumbs up behind her, mocking her, he even flashed me; he pulled up his shirt and did a couple hip thrusts but she took no notice. A handstand! Inconspicuous.

I just laid down in the backseat and tried to sleep. I used my arms as pillows and slid into a pitiful slumber.

"OWw be nice." Louis chuckled.

"Shut up." I grumble sleepily. "Least it's not my dick."

"You've got one of those too?" I looked up from his chest to glare at his playful blue eyes.

"You do. It seems to be in my ass most nights. You and your wet dreams..."

"You're just jealous."

"Sass ass noob." I growled under my breath, rolling over.

"Button...!" He whined. "I'm sorry. Come back your warm."

I threw a dark glare over my shoulder. His eyes were their watery ocean of blue, pleading. I snorted but couldn't deny to myself I wanted him to come over here and hold me until I fell asleep.

"Oh, jeez." I sighed. "Cuddle with me, you cunt."

"Embrace the Irish." He scooted over and wrapped his arms under mine, head in the crook of my neck. "You excited?"

"For what."

"The baby."

"No." He moved his head from my neck.

"Why ever not?"

"I'm not anticipating the birth of this bastard."

"Shelby!" He screeched, a little more than a whisper and high pitched.

"What he's a huge kid! And my first one this is no fun and...and..."

"What, button?"

"I-I think...I don't think I'll be a good enough mother. I don't want to ruin his life, I..." My voice was very thin and barely audible. I felt a thin veil of fear covering my shuddering body. Louis nuzzled his cheek to my jaw and rubbed my arm.

"You'll be a lovely mother, babe. I watched you nurse a hamster back to health from a seizure." I scrunched up my nose, trying to think of what that had to do with anything. He leaned closer to my ear and gave it a little kiss. "You'll be a better mum than mine, and look at how I turned out, eh?" I smiled sleepily and tilted my head so our heads were leaning on each other. Our cheekbones were our focal point of the stress of the weight, and we could feel our breath because our noses brushed. Louis stayed still, not moving much more than closing his eyes like I had already done, and our breath shallowed in unison, falling asleep.