Chapter 31 - Our First Date

Lucy's POV

Natsu drove us to a beautiful restaurant called 'Rainbow Sakura'. Rainbow coloured cherry blossoms branched out across the entire roof with yellow fairy lights entangled around each branch. Natsu led me inside as I admired the beauty of the interior. "Do you have a reservation?" the Maître d asked. "Table for two under Natsu Dragneel" Natsu replied.

The Maître d found our reservation and smiled at us. "Excellent, please follow this man to your table" he said and gestured one of the awaiting staff. He whispered our table number to the man and we followed the man to our table. He led us to a private table for two and pulled out a seat for me. I thanked the man as I sat down while Natsu seated himself.

Our waiter walked over to greet us and fill up our water glasses. "Good evening, my name is Jason and I'll be your waiter" he said and gave me a wink. Natsu noticed this and growled under his breath while glaring at him. Jason handed us our menus. Natsu snatched his menu out of Jason's hand but he didn't react. "The specials we have tonight are the lemon chicken salad and seafood pappardelle. I'll come back in a bit to take your order" Jason said, smiling towards me before walking away to serve another table.

I noticed Natsu glaring at the waiter as he walked away, gripping his menu tightly. He looked like he wanted to punch our waiter's lights out. "Natsu?" I called, trying to get his focus back on me. "Huh? Did you say something?" he asked as his attention snapped back to me. "How did you find such an amazing place?" I asked, hoping to get his mind off his jealousy. It was cute to see him jealous over me but I don't need him to cause a scene in a public place.

"Gray helped me find this restaurant" he replied before looking down and drooling over the delicious menu options. 'Again, Gray helped him instead of Happy' I thought. "Sounds like Gray helped you a lot with this date. Why didn't you get Happy to help?" I asked. "Have you met Happy? 'You looove~ her' this and 'she looove~ you' that. He'll tease me endlessly and probably encourage my students to tease me too" he replied with a blush. "Besides, his most romantic date suggestion is going fishing or going to the aquarium to drool over fish" he added and I giggled. I could imagine Happy suggesting either of those choices.

Jason returned with a notepad and pen. "Have you decided?" he asked and gave me a wink, making Natsu growl again. "I'll start with the prawn cocktail and then have the seafood pappardelle" I ordered and then handed the waiter my menu. "Excellent choice for a beautiful lady" he replied with a charming smile. Natsu's glare darkened with a growl. "For you sir?" Jason asked, turning to Natsu. "I'll take the crab quiche and then the steak, medium-rare" Natsu ordered with a growl. "Good choice. I'll be back soon with your meals" Jason said before walking off.

"Stupid waiter" Natsu cursed under his breath. I reached over the table and grasped his hand which snapped his attention to me. "Don't worry, you're the only guy I have eyes for tonight" I said and he smiled. I noticed the tension in his shoulders relaxed. Suddenly Jason came back with a cocktail in hand. "A strawberry daiquiri for the lovely lady" he said as he placed the drink in front of me. "Um, I didn't order a cocktail" I said, thinking he must've made a mistake. "It's on the house" he replied with a suggestive wink before walking away. Natsu growled again and glared at Jason's back. I sighed, I hoped our food would come soon.

The rest of the night ran smoothly. Our food was delicious and Natsu made me laugh with his jokes and stories. It was truly a great night. When the check came, I offered to pay half, but Natsu insisted on paying for both of us. I didn't want this night to end.

As we stood up to leave, Jason walked up to us. Natsu immediately glared at him but Jason ignored him, keeping his gaze on me. "It has been a pleasure serving you this evening" he said and then he whispered towards me. "Please take this" he whispered as he sneakily handed me a paper napkin. I opened it to find a phone number.

Before I could hand it back and tell him I had a boyfriend, Natsu snatched the napkin from my hands and read the phone number. He crushed it in his hand and threw it to the ground. "That's it" he growled before punching Jason in the face. I gasped in shock as Jason crashed into a table before hitting the ground with a broken nose. Natsu grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the restaurant. He pulled me to the car without looking at me. When we reached the car, Natsu sighed. "Sorry, I probably ruined our date with that punch, but I couldn't watch him flirt with you anymore" he apologised. Natsu apologising for a fight? This is a first. Is he sick?

I felt his forehead and he immediately stiffened with a blush. "W-What are you doing?" he asked. "I'm checking to see if you have a fever" I replied before removing my hand when I couldn't feel a temperature. "You normally never apologise when you get into a fight. Unless Erza forces you" I giggled. "Honestly, you didn't ruin our date. I had a great time with you when Jason wasn't flirting with me. Besides he deserved that punch. That was so unprofessional of him to flirt with a customer, especially one who's on a date with her boyfriend" I added while crossing my arms. 

Natsu smiled proudly and gave me a peck on the lips. "How about we continue our date at my place where you won't be flirted on by a pervy waiter?" he asked while opening the car's passenger side door for me. "Sounds good" I smiled before sitting in my seat. Natsu sat in the driver's seat before driving us off towards his place. This date was certainly memorable. I don't think I could forget this night even if I tried.