Chapter 18 - The Announcement

Natsu's POV

I'm so excited! Gramps should be announcing the start of the Magic classes during this morning's Monday assembly. I was itching with excitement as I stood with the other teachers, waiting for the assembly to start. Every year, Gramps waits until the third week to introduce the Magic classes so the students can get comfortable with the new school year.

"Chill out moron or I might have to knock you out" Gray said beside me. I turned to him and growled. "You wanna piece of me?" I threatened with my fist raised. He raised his fist in retaliation. "I could go a few rounds" he replied. "Boys" we heard the redhead devil say and we both stiffened. "No fighting during assembly, am I understood?" she added. "Yes ma'am!" we replied in unison while refusing to look at her or move.

A cute giggle broke the tension and the three of us turned to look at Lucy. "Sorry, I couldn't help myself" she said and then Gramps walked onto the stage. "Good morning students. I hope you all had a good weekend. I would like to start with some announcements. First, Magic classes will be starting today" he said and the students muttered between themselves in excitement.

Gramps coughed to get everyone's attention back onto him which made the students quiet down. "As I was saying, you will all get updated timetables with your designated Magic classes. If there are any problems with your timetable, please see admin. Next the library-" he said and then I ignored the rest of the boring announcements.

After assembly, everyone began to file out of the gymnasium to head to their first class but before Lucy could go to her class, I pulled her aside. "Hey Lucy, remember my offer still stands. If you're bored in your Magic class with Jellal, you can always hang out in mine. It'll be fun" I said. I don't like the idea that Jellal will be sharing an hour class with Lucy. "Natsu, I can't abandon my students" she replied. "Let Jellal teach them" I countered but she rolled her eyes with a smile. "I'll see you later Natsu" she replied and then walked out of the gymnasium.

I stared at the door where she left for a few seconds before I heard "you looooooove~ her" from beside me. "Shut up Happy" I said as I shooed him away from my ear. "Mr Dragneel and Miss Heartfilia sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G" Hiro sang, and I sighed. I forgot I had a class right now. "Do you want to run a lap around the school?" I asked, lightly threatening him with my hands on my hips. "No thank you" he replied. "Thought so" I smirked and then I clapped my hands to get my classes' attention. "Today we are going to play a game of basketball. Girls will take the left court, boys the right court. Let's go" I said and everyone split up into two games.

Later that day, I was teaching my Fire elemental class on the field with Happy beside me. I have ten students in my class with different styles of Fire magic but none of them has Fire Dragon Slayer magic like me. "First lesson, I want to see you all focus on making a fireball as big as this" I told the class and then held my hands one over the other. I created a fireball in between my hands and grew it into the size of a basketball. "Woah" the class stared at my fireball in awe. "Once everyone can make their fireball to around this size, we will move onto the next step" I said and then fired the fireball at a target I set up for the demonstration. "We have fire extinguishers ready if there are any problems. Start" I added. Everyone spread out and began trying to create a fireball as big as mine. From a quick glance of everyone's first tries, the biggest a few have gotten was a cricket ball size. The student doing the best was Romeo Conbolt.

This lesson is to teach them to focus on their magic power and learn to control it. The better they can control their powers, the better they can fight with those powers. "Hey Natsu!" I heard a deep voice call out from behind me. I turned around and spotted Macao walking towards our class. "Hey Macao" I greeted back while giving him a handshake. Macao used to be a teacher at the academy and taught fire magic but now he works in Admin.

"What are you doing here?" Happy asked. "I'm here to see how my son's first Magic class is going" Macao replied and then looked over lovingly towards his son Romeo. "He's doing really well. The lesson is about focusing on creating a fireball as big as a basketball and he's the closest so far" I said and he smiled proudly. "Just like his dad" he said quietly to himself and then turned to me. "I better get back to work. See you two later" he said and then walked toward the Admin office. Too bad Lucy couldn't come to see my first Magic class of the year.