First Year: Planning

James

James wanted to be a normal person and be excited that Rory had other friends. Was he a a bad person for being mad that Theodore had just came and stole her from him? Yes, of course. Did he care that it was bad to be jealous? No, of course not.

Why was every. single. person. in this fucking castle better at talking to Rory than he was? Theo, Sirius, even fucking Deacon Ackland! What did Deacon have that James didn't have? Absolutely nothing, except maybe better hair (that boy really did have perfect hair). He'd debated eavesdropping on Rory and Theo's conversation, but decided not to, just because Rory would kill him if he did.

He grudgingly went back to the stupid Gryffindor common room, where there was another stupid party. He couldn't even make it halfway through the door before he was surrounded by people, giving him empty compliments about how good his performance was. Frankly, he didn't really care, but he gave them a couple 'thank you's'. When he got up to his dorm, he was surprised to see Sirius, Remus, and Peter already inside, stretched out across their beds.

"You guys aren't partying?" James asked.

"We did," Sirius groaned tiredly. "We're so tired."

"Partied too hard huh?" James grinned.

"Yeah," Sirius nodded groggily. "Where's Rory?"

James mood fell again. "She's with Theodore fucking Nott."

Suddenly, Sirius wasn't as tired anymore. He sat up straight. "Theodore Nott? As in the 4th year Slytherin? As in Regulus's friend?"

"That's the one," James said sadly. 

"How does she even know him? Are they friends?"

James really didn't want to talk about this any further. "I don't know! He just asked to talk to her alone!"

"And you left?" 

"She said it was okay!" James exclaimed defensively.

"I'm going to talk to her when she gets back," Sirius said angrily. "Why is she hanging out with bloody Slytherins?"

"Sirius," James mumbled. "It's really not that serious."

Sirius was so mad that he didn't even make his usual joke about 'serious'. "Can't believe she's turning into one of them!"

"She's not!" James defended her. He hadn't expected Sirius to get this heated up over it. If anything, James was the one who should've gotten mad. 

"Did you stick around to hear what they were talking about?" Sirius asked.

"Sirius!" Remus interjected. "That's personal!"

"Yeah," James agreed. "And no, I didn't eavesdrop on their conversation."

Sirius ticked his jaw and flopped back on the bed. "Fine," he grumbled defeatedly. "I'm still going to have a word with her about it."

"Yeah whatever."

────── ꔫ ──────

The boys had moved down to the common room, since all the party commotion was over, when the painting swung open, and in walked Rory.

Uh oh James thought to himself.

He, however, had no time to react, before Sirius sprung off the couch, running over to Rory.

"Where have you been!" he exclaimed.

"Out," she responded, startled. "Why?"

Sirius death glared her, and she let out a little laugh, confused from where the sudden protectiveness was coming.