First Year: Flying

The rest of Rory's classes were not as enjoyable as she'd of liked them to be. Of course, she wasn't being fair, considering the fight she'd just had with Regulus. Her eyes were still puffy and bloodshot from all the crying, and her stomach growled because she'd missed lunch with all the crying she'd done. The fight lingered on her mind, clouding every thought she had. The expression Regulus had made, the same one she'd seen Walburga give Sirius and Regulus when they were younger, it made her scared. He was echoing is parents' words, like it was the only way he knew to live.

What happened to him?

That was all Rory was thinking about, even as she walked with Diana and Lexi to Flying. It was the only thing she was super excited about in Hogwarts, so she was hoping that would at least cheer her up.

Their teacher, who didn't seem too old raised her wand to her voice, which made it 10 times louder than Rory had expected it.

"I am your flying teacher, Professor Hooch!" she boomed. Rory jumped at the sudden noise, which caused her friends to giggle. She gave them a look but laughed a little too. The Ravenclaws, who Rory had class with, had also quieted down. 

"The first thing you want to do is say up. Really put your heart into it! When you get it up, don't do anything further! Do you understand?"

"Yes Professor!" they chorused. They stood by their respective brooms, and Rory was suddenly scared. What if she sucked at it. Then none of her classes at Hogwarts would be fun. That would be awful wouldn't it? 

She raised her arm up over her broom. "Up!" 

The broom stayed on the ground, taunting her.

She focused harder, furrowing her eyebrows together. "Up! Up! Up! Up! Up!"

Didn't move. Not an inch. Frustrated, she looked around to see if anyone else had gotten theirs up. Judging by the focused faces she saw, nobody was successful yet. She focused harder, imagining what James had told her about flying.

She wanted to fly. "UP!" she exclaimed once more. The broom shot off the floor and straight into her hands. She laughed in delight. 

"Very good work Ms. Kensington! You may try to mount, but don't fly away!"

She nodded eagerly and mounted the broom. Everything felt so natural to her. Before she even realized what she was doing, she kicked off the ground and was flying around in the air. The wind whipped against her face, and she felt free.

Her parents couldn't get her up here. Regulus couldn't get her up here. Voldemort couldn't. It was just her and the sky.

And the shoe.

Rory tilted her head, confused. She looked down, where she saw a Ravenclaw boy, who had accidently hexed himself, causing his shoe to go flying.

"Let's see what I can do," she muttered to herself. She zoomed after the shoe, which was for some reason a lot more aerodynamic than she'd remembered shoes being. She pressed her body against the wooden broom and stretched her hands out. The wind caused her eyes to practically shut, but suddenly, she felt heavy leather in her hand.

She smiled and held the shoe up in excitement. I'm pretty good at this! she thought to herself. She returned to the ground and handed the shoe to the boy.

"I never knew you flew!" Diana exclaimed.

"Me neither!" she exclaimed breathlessly.

Unfortunately, her excitement was short lived. "MS. KENSINGTON!" Professor Hooch exclaimed. "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING! YOU ARE A FIRST YEAR AND IT IS YOUR FIRST TIME ON A BROOM AND YOU DID THAT? YOU COULD'VE BEEN HURT!"