First Year: Sectumsempra

Rory wished she could enjoy Christmas.

She wished that one day, she'd be able to enjoy Christmas with a family. She dreamed that she'd hang up stockings on Christmas Eve, go to sleep in a warm house, make cookies with her parents, eat mince pies. She wanted to hang up Christmas lights and sit by the fireplace before going up to bed and waking up to presents and family meals.

Everything that James Potter and Sirius Black were doing. Rory lay on her stiff bed, looking up at the bland grey walls that stayed undecorated. She hadn't said a word other than "hellos" to her mother and father before rushing up to her room. She was far too scared to even leave her room, no matter how thirsty or hungry she got. 

She knew that she would be called down for dinner though, so she was skirting through conversations that would keep everyone's mood level. Nothing about Gryffindor she'd already decided. Maybe she would pretend that she was friends with Regulus still? But that could be easily discredited with a visit to Number 12 Grimmauld place, so Rory decided against it.

She'd just have to take it as it came.

A sudden crack snapped Rory out of her thoughts. She rolled over, glancing over her bed to see Hokey standing nervously in the center of her room.

"Master and Mistress are wishing that Lorelai will come downstairs," she said.

"Okay, I'm coming."

Rory rolled out of her bed and straightened her hair and clothes in the mirror before breathing deeply in. She promised herself that she wouldn't cry. Just think about James, or Lexi, or Diana. She promised that she wouldn't show any signs of weakness. 

She was a Kensington, after all.

She tilted her chin up before leaving her room and joining her parents in the hall. They both sat solemnly in one of the many living rooms that they had.

"Mother," she nodded as she reached the room. "Father."

"Lorelai," they acknowledged. "Have a seat."

Rory nodded, hoping she wasn't actually shaking. She sat across from them, purposefully choosing the couch furthest away.

"We wanted to start off by saying we are disappointed," her mother started.

Surprise, surprise. She nodded. "I know."

"Don't show us attitude!" her father snapped.

She looked down. "Sorry," she muttered.

"You are a disgrace to this family, Lorelai," her father continued, saying her name like it tasted "We can't even to begin to fathom why you would ever want to be a Gryffindor."

Rory stayed silent.

"And joining the Quidditch team? Very unlady like," her mother tutted.

"And we know that you have befriended Sirius Black. After all that we sacrificed and gave up for you, you choose to be like that boy!" Aster Kensington exclaimed.

"He's a pure blood," she pointed out.

"He is an EMBARRASSMENT!" her mother shouted. 

Aster put a hand on Cassiopeia Black. "We don't want you to follow in his footsteps."

She shrugged, keeping her eyes fixed on a tile on the floor.

"Look at us when we talk to you," Cassiopeia snapped. As much as Rory hated it, her head shot up, staring her mother straight in her eyes. Why did she have so much control over her?

"We do, however, have a solution for you," her father told her.

She looked at him, now curious. "What is it?"