48. Northern Attitude

Regulus composed himself quickly. "Can we go?" He asked.

"Of course love." James took his hand and they walked away from the mirror, leaving it in the back of the room, hidden for hopefully forever. James could see how bad that might affect someone, even make them obsessed, or emotional. He hoped that the mirror would stay hidden for a long, long time. 

James and Regulus walked for a long time, somewhat aimlessly, sometimes stopping to look at cool items or artifacts they found. "Wait James." Regulus said suddenly, turning around to look at something they passed. "Oh my gods." He mumbled and picked up a crown.

"A blue crown?" James asked.

"Not just any blue crown. Ravenclaw's Diadem." He held it up, "It's one of the last horcruxes I need to destroy." 

"I still can't believe you're doing this." James took Regulus by the hands, "Stay safe please. I want you to know I understand how dangerous this has been, not just for you, but for everyone close to you. I'm glad you trusted me with this information." 

"Thanks James. It's - It's definitely scary, but someone has to do it, and fast. We all know he's going to make a move soon, and I'd rather kill him before he commits mass genocide." Regulus said.

"I just wish that people would acknowledge the fact that a war is starting. The professors refuse to tell us anything, most of them are in denial." James sighed. Regulus sank down to the floor and leaned against a stray table that was on it's side. James joined him. 

"This whole situation sucks. What if - What if it doesn't work? Or I got one wrong? Or he catches me before I get the last one? Or what if he just doesn't die and I'm destined to be a death eater for the rest of my life?" Regulus' hands were shaking, and James yet again held them in his own. 

"Have some faith in yourself. You're extremely smart, and you are not alone in all of this. It doesn't fall on you to save us all, you're just the first to figure out the solution. There's this one muggle I heard of. He built what's called an atom bomb, and him and his team weren't sure the extent the bomb would go when set off, because their science was never a hundred percent correct in theory, so they thought there was a chance it could have caused a chain reaction and destroy the entire earth. The only way to know was to test it, which they did anyway. It didn't directly destroy the earth, but in result, J Robert Oppenheimer created a weapon of mass destruction that the muggles used for years after to threaten each other. He realized shortly after creation of the bomb the extent that humans would go to have the upper hand, so much that they are willing to wipe out entire populations. So even though the test bomb didn't destroy the world, Oppenheimer felt like he destroyed the world anyway. What I'm trying to say is that you can do great things and be the one to find out something, but absolutely hate it and your circumstances, or the consequences, but in the moment, that's not what matters, that's not what mattered to Oppenheimer. His task was to make that weapon and he did, and yours is to destroy the horcruxes. It could go horribly, and He who shall not be named might kill us all, or you could succeed and we manage to defeat him." James said.

"That analogy was so dumb," Regulus let out a small laugh, "But I appreciate the message. I think that's a bit of a stretch to be honest. Maybe we should just bomb the dark lord, the old fashioned muggle way."  he laughed.

"Maybe that's our real missing puzzle piece, he cant die, but his one weakness is bombs. What a way to go, a muggle weapon killing the man that wants all muggles dead." James laughed, and regulus did too, but James could tell he was bothered by something.

"What's wrong love?" He asked

"Why do you like me?" Regulus looked down, his hands messing with the diadem he was holding. 

"So many reasons. Your smile, when I finally manage to get one out of you, your eyes and the way they get lost. the love in your heart, and the way you love the people around you. The subtle things like the way you touch the people you trust, or when you bully me, you're mean to me and start taking all prim and proper, gods Regulus you could be mean to me forever and I would not complain." James went on and on about all the things he loved about Regulus, "Your face isn't half bad either," He smiled.

Regulus frowned, "I'm just afraid. What if we get close and I'm not how you hoped?" Regulus asked, "I'm not affectionate, I'm cold, and I'm mean. I'm afraid every day that I'll chase away the people I loved in the same way I chased away Sirius. And you're so similar to Sirius, he's your best friend, so how could you possibly fall for me?" Tears welled up in his eyes. 

James took Regulus' face in his hands, "You are worth the effort. And all the things you hate about yourself, I love. You're allowed to need time for yourself, and yeah you're mean, but it's your personality and I love the way you are. Sirius has his own issues, and he did love you - he still does love you, and what happened between you two is no more your fault than his. You both need to learn to understand each other and what really happened. That doesn't make you a terrible person. I love you for your beauty, and your faults. The good, and the bad." James said, then realized what he said. He told Regulus he loved him for the first time. 

"You- You love me?" Regulus asked, eyes wide. 

"I do. I love you Regulus, everything about you. Always and forever." 

Regulus let out a sob and pulled James in for a kiss. "I love you so much, I have for years." He cried, and just lied in James' arms until the tears were dried on his face. 

The two sat in the room of requirements for a while longer, but eventually, James had to get back to the party before Sirius began questioning him. He gave Regulus a departing kiss, and they went their separate ways. 

𝄽

"No." Regulus was standing in Dumbledore's office, which seemed to be the place he got all his bad news delivered straight to his face. 

"We will have all of your coursework owled to you for the weeks you miss, but your mother requests you home at the shortest notice possible. She didn't want to tell me details but said it was an important personal matter."

Regulus was fuming. How could Dumbledore do this? Surely he knew the connections Regulus' family had, and the implications of the situation. He of all people would want to prevent this. He couldn't argue any further though, and nodded through gritted teeth as he was sent to pack.  

Too soon, he was back in Grimmauld pace, standing before Voldemort and the rest of the death eaters. A new face joined them. Severus Snape. 

𝄽

So guys, how are we feeling? 48 chapters in already. I honestly was not expecting this fic to be so long, or for myself to commit to something as detailed as this, Im genuinely loving it though and I hope you guys do too